Another DIY lunchbox

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michal_k

UPDATE: Looks like I finally got this thing right. See page 4 for details. I'll try to snap some better quality pictures as soon as I borrow a decent camera :)

Hello guys,

Some time ago I've made myself a 51x lunchbox, but it's starting to fill up so I guess it's time to make few more units! Since I will be making at least two more it makes sense to go for one external PSU. Last time, fitting a power supply into my lunchbox turned to be a huge PITA as well. Since I wanna keep size of the boxes more or less the same I will have 8 slots per box, times two boxes should be enough for some years to come (providing you stop coming up with awesome 500 projects).

Also, last time I received plenty of messages asking if I'm planning to sell parts, but at the time I had too many things on my plate and besides, I've never designed it to be other-people-friendy so never made more pieces. This time I wanna give you a chance to speak up. If anyone is interested I'll try to design the lunchbox so that it's easier to ship and way nicer to look at ;). I think 10 pieces would make it worthwhile and possible to offer at 100eu/$130 or less. I also don't wanna go into huge batches and turn it into commercial thing.

Let me know what you think. Previous one for reminders below, as stated before, I plan to make this batch prettier - trying to go for stainless steel. If nobody is interested in getting one I just turn this thread into build log.

cheers,

Michal

zdjcie1sq.jpg

I think I'd be interested. Was initially planning on the 511 rack, but I'm more likely to fill 8 slots than 11.

Is this unit 4RU?

Hey michal_k,

I'll probably be in for one too. Just need to double check my wallet  :)

Interested.

I think as a complete package would be great, lunchbox and power supply, ither built in or external.

Option for 51x also would be great and a handle since this is not rack mountable or will it use addon custom ears??

canidoit said:
Interested.

I think as a complete package would be great, lunchbox and power supply, ither built in or external.

Power supply i'm sure, will be at least, your responsibility.  ::)

Hi there,

First of all, thanks for the interest. Since it seems there will be enough people interested in lunchboxes I'll start planning the whole thing and I'll get back to you with a plan in the next couple of days.

Answering your questions. I'd like to offer just metalwork and backplane. It doesn't make sense for me to order edge connectors at classicapi just to ship it back all the way over the ocean again. Neutrik XLR's should be easy to source as well. Throw in a couple of goldpin headers and that's about all you need for this build and cost 30 bucks in total.

I'm not sure if offering a psu would be a good idea. First of all there are plenty of readily available options (see white market for at least a couple) and it would take extra time to draw pcb and delay the whole project. As far as 51x compatibility I'll do my best. I already have one 51x lunchbox and I'll be building mine as a regular API500 (makes the psu simplier and cheaper) but I understand your needs may be different.

As for additional metalwork like handles and rack ears, it's all possible but it will increase the price and I really want to keep the cost as low as I can. On the other hand, I'd love to have one of this angle mounthing things that BAE offers. I believe it would be the most reasonable to discuss that kind of add ons after the boxes are done.

So for now I'll get to drawing blueprints for the metal shop and I'll try to get the quote asap. I'll keep you updated.

ps. Picture in the first post shows my first 51x lunchbox - love it and use it all the time, I'd like to improve on it a little bit though ;)

pps. As always, I'd love to get your input on anything so keep the ideas coming

I'll be in.  In regards to external PSU (which I think is a good idea) will you be adding additional modules now that you'll have the space?  I think the backplane should be 51x capable and then each builder can determine which system they wish to build.

I'd be in for one.

Just metalwork and backplane is fine for my requirements, I'll roll my own PSU.
51X compatibility would be nice, but not a necessity.

Back