Another DIY lunchbox

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just some thoughts...

+1 for rack ears. Might be cheaper getting a quote from the factory for both the case and the rack ears. I believe that's a 3U and will feet nicely any rack with the rack ears, right?

+1 for 51x compatibility too  :)

I wouldn't worry too much about the PSU. I'll probably roll my own. BTW, Joe is doing his magic again  ;D

For us who don't live in the US, maybe we can do a group buy from classicapi or try to source the edge connectors from somewhere in EU.

Yes, joe's solution looks like a perfect match, any idea how much it will be?

For those asking if internal psu is possible. It is, here are picture of mine under first tests. Never sweared more in my entire life than when I struggled to install this little sucker inside the box.

BTW switchers may be another idea for less kosher users. If I remember correctly I ended up paying 12 bucks for all 4. I added one more lc stage after them (not pictured) and they were dead silent.

2012-02-01%2012.15.53%20HDR.jpg

2012-05-09%2016.57.18.jpg

(you can see only four regulators because I skipped phantom power in this build)

michal_k said:
Yes, joe's solution looks like a perfect match, any idea how much it will be?
$79.50 for the kit and $40 for the heatsink. It's already available in his store.

Huh, pricey, but I believe well worth the money.

Yes, I'm Polish and right now I'm in Poland for a couple of weeks. where do you live?

I think you should put vents in especially when the unit is packed full. You only have a few small drill holes for ventilation.

Wow, great stuff...
I could be in for one also, 51X version. I will be using an external power supply so have you planned on making the backplane wider to add like 2 extra modules.

Marc Duchesne said:
Wow, great stuff...
I could be in for one also, 51X version. I will be using an external power supply so have you planned on making the backplane wider to add like 2 extra modules.

Yes, this will be an eight slot lunchbox. I'm working on the enclosure right now, I should be able to post some drawings in the next few days. I had a slow start, but I'm still hoping to get a prototype or two before Christmas.

M.

michal_k said:
Marc Duchesne said:
Wow, great stuff...

Yes, this will be an eight slot lunchbox. I'm working on the enclosure right now, I should be able to post some drawings in the next few days. I had a slow start, but I'm still hoping to get a prototype or two before Christmas.

M.

Awesome stuff :)

Back