Another DIY lunchbox

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

I wanted to see how EDAC connectors compare to the ones you have :) If I don't order edacs from farnell I'll contact you.

PS. Metalwork is coming today, hope I won't miss the delivery guy.

I've put it all together ;D It's already after dark so I can only offer you a few really crappy pictures, but it looks like I got the dimensions it right this time around.

UPDATE
Updated with nicer pictures.

Corner view. You can see nice tight fit. That's what I like.
zdj%C4%99cie%201.JPG

Rails with threaded holes. They take M3 screws - european style  ;)
zdj%C4%99cie%202.JPG

You can see cutout in the PCB in the bottom right corner. It's there to facilitate assembly and wiring. Also, the lunchbox takes XLRs from 3-pin ones for simple +-15V boxes up to 7-pin for full 51x spec.
zdj%C4%99cie%204.JPG

Another corner view. You can see some tool marks in the edges. That's the part I'm not happy about. I'll talk to the machine shop to see if they can do any better or consider finishing it nicely (glass blasting is my favourite now but it depends on cost).
zdj%C4%99cie%205.JPG

Beauty shot. I personally guarantee THE best venting in the market  ;D.
zdj%C4%99cie.JPG

Voilà, here it is. I'll see what quantity discounts I can get and will update you with minimum order we have to get to make a group buy happen.

Michal

I've done my math and if we get 15 orders the price for the kit (PCB, metalwork, rails and a mounting hardware) should be around 115 EUR. I haven't thought about paypal fees and currency risk (I'm paying in PLN for most of the stuff) so the final cost can move a few percent.

Any takers?

I might be interested if this happens.

Any chance for rack ears? It's quite critical in my case.

It would be the only part that requires bending so it may have to be made in another shop. I'll send some inquiries and post here as soon as I'll get approximate cost of such a part.

I've just posted GB in the Black Market section. As for rack ears I've sent some drawings for quotes but haven't got any satisfying answers just yet. Will keep you updated on that.

Sorry for the noob question but where would one find a premade or pcb for a 3 pin xlr power supply?

Thanks

Hi,
3-pin connector gives you +-15V power rails. That gives you many options:
- if you want to build from a kit here's one http://www.jlmaudio.com/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=15, add switch, fuse and a trafo and you're good.
- if you want to etch pcb or build on a perfboard (it's just a couple of parts - done it many times) you may find psu for green pre helpful. Just make sure to mount some heatsinks on those lm317.

Michał

Could I clarify if this lunchbox is going to be 51x or 500 (or either)?

Thanks.  Paul

gltech said:
prh said:
Could I clarify if this lunchbox is going to be 51x or 500 (or either)?

Thanks.  Paul

I'm wondering the same thing.

It can be either api500 or 51x depending on what edge connectors you use (30 or 36 pin) and depending on PSU as well. Radial PSU can be used as well, just make sure with multimeter you wire the XLR pins to the right places on the PCB.

I understood this kind of PSU was in question:
http://vintageking.com/recording-gear/500-series/500-series-racks/brent-averill-6-module-rack-w-psu-no-48v-phantom

It would be cheaper to build your own with the JLM parts. Even the 51x power supply kit would be cheaper than that at around $350. I've been spending a bit too much money on diy stuff so I'm trying to figure out an under $75 PSU for this thing to rationalize getting into his group buy. It looks very interesting. Mmmmmm more gear.  :eek:

Hello,

yes,I'd prefer that too.
Btw.,the BAE homepage describes their psu as follows:

"Bi Polar PSU Features

Remote power supply with four-foot cable capable of four times the current needed by the preamps for optimum sound quality".

So might be not enough current for 8 slots fully loaded.
Joe's PSUs are great and affordable,but remember you will need some additional stuff like a transformer,a case,mains inlet,switch,fuse etc.

All summed up you might get pretty close to a full kit like the "Alliance"-floorbox.

Your choice,both will do a great job.

Have fun,

Udo. ;)

@michal_k

Hi Michal,

can you shine a light on the pcb concerning grounding please?
Questions I have:

1.:Are there groundplanes on both sides?
2.:The header for grounding options,is it for in- or output?

Thanks in advance,

Udo.

Back