Anyone interested to build a TG1 clone ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In keeping with Fester's cloak and dagger approach, I'll also post something under a pen name.

Transformers - Don't use the same types that are in the reissue unless you want a T.H.D. box.

Some history as best as I recall - Several years ago there were a couple of pairs of EMI TG12413 mastering compressors floating around that had been re-packaged into a 1 space chassis by David Manley.  Each rack contained the original circuit cards, switches etc and the Ernest Turner meter.  To the package David had added input and output transformers (possibly Sowter? can't remember) because the original module didn't have any.  Anyway, the Chanandler people ended up with one of these racks and used it as a basis for the "reissue". 
Trouble was that they used their Neve mic input (1272/1073) transformer on the input and a Neve type step up on the output. They went as far as to strap both transformers in parallel on the primary for even more gain that wasn't even needed in the first place. Was/is this madness, incompetence, inspired genius? It's your music, you decide... 
Anyway, the internal gain structure of the thing was now completely shot in my opinion, not to mention a loading issue from putting line level inputs into a 300 ohms (actual) mic input.  I'll go on - the original threshold control was now pretty useless unless you were the sort of person who likes everything pumping madly away or reduced to a pulp.  To overcome this, Mr C came up with a couple of "mods" !  :)
1/ A different method of adjusting threshold which was in the form of a simple pot on the input trasformer secondary.  Their unit worked better with this form of threshold adjust but was hardly what you'd now call a reissue.
2/ I do believe the extra distortion was turned in to the T.H.D. "feature".

You can have a unit much closer to a real TG12413 by either using line level 1:1 (or so) transformers or just leaving them out alltogether like on the TG12413.  I've done both.  I would also opt for reverting to the original "Hold" circuit.

Adjust in situ resistors - I've seen lots of the Chanandler-Bing units and they all had exactly the same values here. Obviously no "adjusting in situ" was done.  They simply copied what was in the David Manley racked pairs.  I'm not sure if many know but they didn't get access to original EMI docs until many years after they had been building these reissues so there are lots of units out there that were built without actually having a schematic on hand.  Maybe they now have their hands on the proper calibration procedure and build them accordingly - who knows? 
The values posted above look about right to me - a good place to start anyway.

Good luck, it CAN be done  :)

No doubt I'll now be flooded with offers to sue me ::)

Frank Einstein said:
Adjust in situ resistors - I've seen lots of the Chanandler-Bing units and they all had exactly...

LOL I get the reference  ;)
(I think it was actually "chanandler bong.")

might make a good project alias, the "c-bong" or some such...

email sent  ;D

I hope this isn't exraneous but it seems like everyone's doing it ;)

Does anyone know what transistors are in the C******r unit instead of bc109, bcy71 anb bcy34?

Couldn't have said it any better! Right on!

---Joe

Test Point said:
Hey Soundguy....I just wanted to say that I hope you didn't take my post in the wrong way...I wasn't trying to exonerate anyone, just that if Wade had paid his license to manufacture someone else's design, than he should be able to do that within the limits of what he paid for....having never seen this TG1 up close and personal, I can't vouch for it's quality vs. price point but I can say with a certain amount of authority due to the fact that I fix pro sound equipment all day and have for almost twenty five years, it is appalling the SHIT that is sold today and passed off as quality stuff. I have to bite my tongue when I hear some musician say how nice their new POS (piece of shit) is and when I read reviews about a particular piece I almost want to hurl. I work on this stuff! I see inside of it! I'm the one who see's it's many weaknesses and has to fix them at almost give away prices. When someone asks what I do for work and I tell them, I cringe because I know the next question: "What do you think about XYZ brand of amp/mixer/doo-hickey"?...If I tell them what I really think, then I have to go into this long diatribe about why I think the way I do. Poor quality at high prices is unconscionable but I see it all day long and it is frustrating.....I have found that in this business, as it probably is in many others, you don't always get what you pay for... That's why I love this group and it's mentality "If you want it done right, do it yourself"    
I'll jump off my soapbox now   :oops:

TP

Hey, Fablab. I believe these are the correct substitutes  :)

Tekay said:
If someone is going to build this diode limiter, all smallsignal transistors can be substituted with BC184 / BC214.

Farnell have BC109 available. Is there anything wrong with using them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back