Altec 436 PCB

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, I got a take-down request on my post too. My understanding is that quoting text with reference of the source generally constitutes 'fair use'. I (or anyone here) can reword it entirely and it's certainly fair use; it's factual information.

I was asked to mention that eskimo's post made someone unhappy also.

Not sure how THAT , will help sell books
but good luck buddy ,
if i can't borrow one , i won't worry about it ,
Don't that it's the kind of thing i'd keep for a reference ,
once the entertainment value is gone .

It's a fine line. Paraphrasing is generally o.k., but reproducing big chunks can raise ire. I hope that Mr Fish and McGraw-Hill didn't get feathers ruffled by a recent post of mine, in fact. At least I went to the trouble of typing it in, rather than scanning. And I plugged the thing too.

But books and other articles, papers, etc. are a lot of work, and I can understand the concerns of authors and publishers.

Personally, I'd be more motivated to seek the given book out, having read that excerpt. But then I buy a lot of books. As a result I'm often broke and running out of space, but you have to keep your priorites in line.

I suspect the Google practice is working to sell more books than not---they entice you with fragments. Sometimes your specific question is answered, but you can also see that there is much more material not shown. I looked at a collection of papers yesterday, about ferrite behavior, and there were convenient links alongside to purchase the book. I was tempted, although it was a bit too pricey for current financial conditions.

The book rental services are interesting. I don't know how well they are doing though---the prices seem mighty high. I guess they are primarily targeting students, who in many cases want to get rid of the damn things the moment they pass the course. I hope there's a yellow highlighter penalty clause :razz:

BTW I was alluding earlier to the anecdote in which a man walks up to the notoriously laconic Coolidge and says "I made a bet with a friend that I could get you to say more than two words to me." Coolidge: "You lose."

[quote author="emrr"]Yep, I got a take-down request on my post too. [/quote]

Interesting note, this is the same person that originally posted that very same information here? What if the original post was quoted?

The owner of the quoted website made the request. And I linked and referenced the source, as is proper when quoting. The original has been taken down; otherwise I'd have provided a direct link that worked. It was never posted here, but many others here had previously linked to the same website.

flaheu

I first have to make a prototype, then test it and when it will be tested I'll probably make them avaible on the black market and/or share the gerber files for it.

By the way, where are you lacated in Belgium?

[quote author="emrr"]The owner of the quoted website made the request. And I linked and referenced the source, as is proper when quoting. The original has been taken down; otherwise I'd have provided a direct link that worked. It was never posted here, but many others here had previously linked to the same website.[/quote]

Sorry my bad, I thought he put up the info as a post but it looks like he did link to his site in this thread. I guess that's what I was remembering, sorry.

http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=3587&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=altec&start=15

Interesting quote,

[quote author="Winston O'Boogie"][quote author="NewYorkDave"]...it would no doubt be fascinating to review the schematics, the description you gave conveys a pretty good idea of what's going on. I'm already feeling inspired by the "hold" setting on the release control...
[/quote]

Yep, the 'Hold' is a nice thing to have as is the balancing scheme which works much better for quick 'in the field' calibrations than the oft' used back then- tap off the 6V3 heater winding.
Nice project you're working on there : )
Ciao.[/quote]

Any ideas on how to implement the 'hold' setting?

[quote author="abby normal"]
Any ideas on how to implement the 'hold' setting?[/quote]

yes, I said earlier in this thread, disconnect the release resistor so the charge doesn't bleed off.

Nadege,
I´m following your discussion for a quite long time now, I just wanted to encourage you to go on with this fine project. Your work is very much appreciated. Are you planing to make a pcb for a single or dual channel?
cheers
Bernd

[quote author="emrr"][quote author="abby normal"]
Any ideas on how to implement the 'hold' setting?[/quote]

yes, I said earlier in this thread, disconnect the release resistor so the charge doesn't bleed off.[/quote]

I did not see your post. Thank you, I think it would be a good mod for this project. :cool:

I was given permission to quote this bit:

Bear in mind that the 'devil is in the details' and the various ones that pertain to changing of time constants and coupling networks, additional feedback loops, re-biasing, distortion lowering tweaks, power supply feed etc. are what seems to make a unit an RS124. The "hold" and neon bulb balancing act are nice but not the crux.
As I had said in a much earlier forum post, I won't be giving out those details at this time. Sorry.

Also, I see someone had asked on the forum if an RS124 was really that much better than an Altec. In short, there seems to be no comparison.

:end quote:

So there you have it, best as it will come.

NYDave suggested to me that disconnecting the release resistor from B- might not be a great idea; and that instead substituting something with very slow release (many megs) may be better. Certainly wouldn't hurt.

bernbrue

thanks for the nice words. I'm not thinking about a dual version at the moment.

One channel is already hard enough, but why not in the future???

:green:

I already saved the entire edited book quote yesterday to my PC.

The RS124 may very well rock. It probably does. But apparently the guy at Revolution is very sick with some long-term illness so that's a drag (for him mostly). I had thought about contacting him to modify my dual clone 436 which I built several years ago. It works very good but it's not great on the stereo buss. It's much better with just one track. I've been collecting all the various mod suggestions for some time now. I just need to find some time to tear open my clone and beef it up. The dude at Revolution ain't doin' much work these days (or so I hear) and there is actually at least one guy who he owes a whole bunch of money to for work that never got done. That's another drag (luckily not mine).

I'm not sure you guys care about any of this. You can harass me if you want. DW.

Here is my secong version of the 600ohm attenuator for the altec project

bigger size PCB tracks, no more jumper, screw terminal added, better looking position for the resistors.

I've also added the pcb dimensions.( in mm)

600OhmBridgedT2.jpg

I think the original was unbalanced. If you want balanced you'll have to and an H-bridge (double-T) with a four-deck switch...

Latest posts

Back