API 312 Thread!

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nope, it's me  ;D

fixed the links in my post. the links in the quoted text above will still be swapped though.

thanks for pointing that out!

can work for 2 x 312 ?

http://www.banzaimusic.com/Talema-TRT30215.html

Power rating: 30VA
Core loss, typ: 0,26W
Copper loss, typ (120 degrees celsius): 5,0W
Size: 70x32mm
Primary: 1x230V
Secondary: 2x15V
Includes mounting hardware: 1 metal plate, 2 rubber plates, 1 central screw, 1 nut.
thanks

found that useful post, thanks a lot

greg's parts list for the 312 PSU asks for a 22-0-22 toroid, so ilfungo choice is really ok?

There is also this:

http://www.banzaimusic.com/Talema-TRT30222.html

Power rating: 30VA
Core loss, typ: 0,26W
Copper loss, typ (120 degrees celsius): 5,0W
Size: 70x32mm
Primary: 1x230V
Secondary: 2x22V
Includes mounting hardware: 1 metal plate, 2 rubber plates, 1 central screw, 1 nut.

Which is the best

15-0-15
22-0-22

thanks

ilfungo said:
can work for 2 x 312 ?
I could be wrong, but this is probably not related to an original API-312, where you would know what DOA is used and this card is coming with transformer balanced output.

Ilfungo, your questions without related circuit or parts used doesn't make much sense.
There are so many differing circuits around this forum using an opamp based non-inverting single gain stage, that we only could guess.
What is your needed or wanted supply voltages for the DOA or opamp used ?
Is +48V phantom voltage needed ?
Is a maybe differing supply voltage for relais or servo circuits needed ?
Does your circuit come with transformer output or does it come with an IC based balanced driving stage, such as DRV134 or THAT1646, needing a lower supply voltage than a maybe wanted +/-24V for a DOA that can take these rail voltages ?
With your quoted dual secondaries mains transformer, do you want to use a power supply pcb (which one) that can be set up for a voltage doubler or voltage trippler config in case +48V is needed ?

I'm sorry you're right ...
I realize this:

http://www.bicyclerecordings.com/312/

transformer input and output
with phantom and relays
gar2520 DOA
I use JLM AC / DC PSU

thanks

Ilfungo, for up to +/-16V DOA supply I would use the 2x15VAC with psu set up for a voltage trippler config for +48V phantom.
If you want to increase the DOA supply voltage to +/-18V and enjoy/get scared from the generated heat, I'd use the 2x18VAC from same source instead http://www.banzaimusic.com/Talema-TRT30218.html.

The 2x22VAC will be the right part for a +/-24V supply (obviously too much for your gar2520 DOA), so regulators would need some serious heatsinking when dropping this down for a up to +/-18VDC supply.

With a 2x15VAC or a 2x18VAC transformer you probably want 24V type relais, powered from raw-DC side of the psu. If you already have and want to use 12V relais, use a higher wattage voltage dropping resistor in series to your relais.

thanks  Harpo for great info....

take toroidal 18-0-18
and 24 v relay

Where can I find Fabio's PSU?
I read that many have used it
should be fine ....

ilfungo said:
Where can I find Fabio's PSU? ??? ??? ???
thaks

Fabio's PSU312s are virtually impossible to buy new right now.

However, I have PCBs and kits for a VERY similar PSU to Fabio's PSU312. It will provide +/- Rails, 48V and an additional positive rail you can use for relay, leds... All voltages are adjustable and the board will give the option of a voltage doubler or tripler for the 48V rail.

You can PM me your email if you're interested and I'll send you the manual.

Good luck,

Mike

P.S.: +1 on what Harpo said.
Harpo said:
Ilfungo, for up to +/-16V DOA supply I would use the 2x15VAC with psu set up for a voltage trippler config for +48V phantom.
If you want to increase the DOA supply voltage to +/-18V and enjoy/get scared from the generated heat, I'd use the 2x18VAC from same source instead http://www.banzaimusic.com/Talema-TRT30218.html.

The 2x22VAC will be the right part for a +/-24V supply (obviously too much for your gar2520 DOA), so regulators would need some serious heatsinking when dropping this down for a up to +/-18VDC supply.

With a 2x15VAC or a 2x18VAC transformer you probably want 24V type relais, powered from raw-DC side of the psu. If you already have and want to use 12V relais, use a higher wattage voltage dropping resistor in series to your relais.

I searched a bit, but didn't find a definite answer yet, a lot of maybe's...

Which millmax receptacle pins are you using with mitsos's API boards? I'm located in EU, so looking for a EU available source and as long as it's compatible, it doesn't have to be millmax ofcourse.

Cheers and thanks in advance,
B.

baadc0de said:

Which millmax receptacle pins are you using with mitsos's API boards? I'm located in EU, so looking for a EU available source and as long as it's compatible, it doesn't have to be millmax ofcourse.

B.

Check this out: http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=38704.msg478192#msg478192

Classicapi sells millmax pins for very good price, but they are bit too large for PCB holes. I bought pins from there and drilled holes a bit larger with 2,5mm drill bit :)

tmuikku said:
baadc0de said:

B.

Check this out: http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=38704.msg478192#msg478192

Classicapi sells millmax pins for very good price, but they are bit too large for PCB holes. I bought pins from there and drilled holes a bit larger with 2,5mm drill bit :)

Thanks a lot! I have bought classicapi's pins receptacles along with DOAs but have been discouraged afterwards that they won't fit and was looking for new ones that would. I'll take your route and drill them down. I don't have the boards with me yet, but I like to prepare in advance.

Cheers!
B.

baadc0de said:
Thanks a lot! I have bought classicapi's pins receptacles along with DOAs but have been discouraged afterwards that they won't fit and was looking for new ones that would. I'll take your route and drill them down. I don't have the boards with me yet, but I like to prepare in advance.

Cheers!
B.

Word of warning, enlarging the holes is not very clean solution, but works :)
You could use smaller bits, 2,3mm might be enough. The pads for doa pins are oval shaped and about 3mm wide so drilling them with 2,5 bit will possibly cut them "in half" (sorry, can't explain it better with my english skills). There is a pcb track that is coming to one of the pads which might be disconnected if you drill with 2,5mm bit. The track is used for DC offset or some other circuitry, it is not involved with traditional 312 build so I didn't mind possibly cutting it of.

In the thread Teemu linked above, I posted the Mill-max socket I designed the boards around:  0344-2-19-01-34-27-10-0

Niels told me that these (0327-0-15-01-34-27-10-0) will also work, and they are cheaper.

If you enlarge the socket holes, be aware that you will lose the internal plating that connects the top and bottom solder pads of each hole. That is not normally a problem, but you may have to solder some of the sockets on top in some cases to ensure connectivity (for example the ground socket). I had to do that on some of the prototype boards since the fabhouse had undersized the socket holes.  Not a huge problem, but something you should be aware of.

Good luck!

Back