Bypass relay PCB: available

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hey Igor, just sent payment for 3 bypass boards for tat's regular cases. 

if you get a chance, could you post the names of the relays you used.  i'm going to be using a couple of these a dual mnats rev d 1176 (25v). 

REALLY appreciate all the work you do for folks who are interested in DIY.  thanks Igor. 

jj

im planning a mastering console around the CRM and bypass pcbs (and rogers m/s circuit)

my question is if there is a way (without building buffers and other things), that i can have my insert bypassed but still be sending signal to that unit ( for example so that a compressor will still be in gr as i switch it in and out) its not essential but if there is an easy way of implementing this that is great!

i dont see an easy way to implement correctly this but i might just be missing something

thanks so much for your help! im excited!

Without buffers, compressor etc will load previous stage.
In case of 600Ohm old-fashioned units, it can be quite audible.
CRM kits still available. Drop me PM or mail if there's any questions.

Hey Igor. Nice stuff you've got there. I'm working on building a combination analog insert "patchbay" which will incorporate Wayne Kirkwood's M/S insert board. Something like Manley's Backbone
http://mercenary.com/manleybackbone.html

but with far less expense! (plus the fun of DIY). I want to incorporate a bunch of bypass functions. Each of your bypass boards appears to do a single mono channel on a PC board (bummer alert....).

I have already fit 16 XLRs on the back of a 1U box (that's as much as will fit), so that accomodates the DAC/ADC insert point plus three outboard pieces. I have more than three outboard pieces, so I'll double up some of them externally and I'll live with only three of them being insertable/bypassable plus the M/S insert. Many (most) pieces of gear already have passive bypass switches. So, do you have any good words on how to incorporate your bypass boards in a stereo situation like this?  It looks like six bypass boards to do this (bummer). Any chance you could design a relay board that will handle inserting/bypassing multiple stereo processors? I think there is a little "market" for this! (At least among mastering engineers). I've been dreaming of having a multiple relay board for a while now...

Or I could go the simple route and install a few rotary switches on the front panel like Brad Blackwood's solution, can't find the photo, but he had a nice photo of his passive switchbox at the PSW forums (somewhere). This link will get you in the vicinity:  http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/14132/1327/0///3304/#msg_14132

pleasure to see you here bob, I had almost exactly the same idea about a month ago

- what i have done is just put 24 relays on protoboard and wired them out to db25's, when not in the active position the relay simply feeds a jumper to the input of the next relay, and when active it feeds the piece of gear which returns on the next relay (which feeds the next insert)

its really quite easy to proto up, ill have some pictures once i make it home tonight, its basically 2 boards (one left and one right) controlling 6 inserts via nkk switches (eao style pushbuttons), im also incorporating igors crm monitor controller all into a 4 rack case.

ill post some pictures early tomorrow or late tonight ( depending on when i get home)

if you have any questions let me know, ill try to clarify all of this with some pictures

Let me sleep on this (overloaded now with non-audio stuff).
I already have this solution integrated in my mastering console's transfer chain, just
to adaptize it to your needs and make pcb. PM sent.

I'm wondering if it would be possible to adapt these boards to use as an output transformer bypass.  The "out" setting would be transformerless output, and the "in" would bring the output transformers into the output path.

I don't have much experience using relays, so please excuse the bonehead questions.  What are the parallel and series settings for?  If I were going to use these as a transformer bypass, which setting should I use?

Yes, it is possible to use these boards for transformer's bypass.
Insert bypass PCB between device's out and device's output XLR.
(device's out goes to female XLR on PCB, and male XLR on PCB connected to device's out XLR).
Trafo PRI connect to "IN" Molex on bypass pCB.
Trafo SEC connect to "OUT" Molex on bypass PCB.
Hope it is clear....in case of whatever, ask.

Parallel or series settings: relay's coil connection.
If 12V relays used, it is possible to feed the coils from 12v (parallel) or 24V (series) connection.

Igor, maybe i overlooked it. But which version has which spacing beetween the neutrics (center to center).

Somewhere you state "for TADs cases ask for sontec", somewhere else 60mm spacing. Im a little bit confused ;)

There are 2 types of bypass boards. Both electronically same.

54 mm (Sontec version) use NC3MAH/FAH Neutrics or PCB 6.3 Jacks.

60mm use NC3MDL/FDL Neutrics, it is "regular", I did it for Purusha cases-
he used 60mm distances between Neutrics, but check for his new cases, maybe I'm not updated.

Igor thinking of implant your boards to my mixers master channel...what do you think ?

StereoMasterPcb.jpg

In general, toggle/switch can work as well... :)
What do you like to bypass here?

Will work, as well as 4pdt toggle switches (if you have some space on front panel) :)

Hi Igor,
what relay can I use for the bypass pcb?
I'm searching on "mouser.com" and there's a lot of different specs and pin layouts!

Thank you
elskardio

12V DC coil, DPDT, package DIP-16, monostable, there are many choices from Takamisawa, Omron.
Coil should be in range 300 Ohm-2K, contacts 0.5...2A @24V.
http://il.farnell.com/tyco-electronics-axicom/v23105a5003a201/relay-pcb-dpdt-12vdc/dp/1608360
http://il.farnell.com/panasonic-ew/ds2e-m-dc12v/relay-pcb-dpco-12vdc/dp/1380948
http://il.farnell.com/omron-electronic-components/g5v-2-h1-12dc/relay-pcb-dpco-12vdc/dp/9949860
etc.

Hello Igor,

I'm building a dual 1176LN Rev D with your Bypass PCBs... I'm a little bit confused about the zobel network. Do I need to add that using the EA5002 output transformer? if yes, wich values for R_L, CZ and RZ?
Sorry the question.

Ed.

Back