CARNHILL VTB2168 - Hook-up & Phase - POLARITY - CJ ?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="rascalseven"]Hey, CJ! Glad you're here! :grin:

No polarity inversion before the input transformer on the Neve stuff. The inversion is definitely happening in the transformer itself.

Check out http://www.danalexanderaudio.com/neve.html and click the first "Transformer Information" to check out the pinout if you don't already have that document. I compared that doc against your numbered terminations in your T1454 winding documentation to come up with the suggestion I made earlier in this thread. Please let us know if that was right or wrong.

JC[/quote]

Hi there

any one knows is the pinout on the previous page right or wrong?

thank you

The only thing I can think of is that they used the hookup for the reverse wound original, but did not reverse wind.

Going back to full speed on the DIY, all problems fixed-Landlord-Boss-DMV-Remodeled Apt.
Sorry for all the delays as usual.

Kubi,Jenns, just microseconds away-shiiping money is here.
cj the flake.

[quote author="CJ"]The only thing I can think of is that they used the hookup for the reverse wound original, but did not reverse wind.
[/quote]

How can we get to the bottom of this :?

Hey All,

I am finally getting around to wiring up these the vtb2168s in a hotrod build. This discussion died short - Any verdict on how these should be wired? Any help would be appreciated.

cheers!

hi needlz,
look for JC response to this question on page one of this thread. this is the way i wired my 1272 hot rot neves and it works perfectly.
regards,
grant

Cool. Thanks guys!

The hotrod board has a section input transformer's signal & ground section. This is where I get a wee bit of the confused.

JC says:

"Secondaries: connect pins 7 and 10, pin 9 hot, pin 8 cold
Pin 6 is the chassis connection, so jumper it over to the screw in the corner of the pinboard, and then bolt the tranformer to the chassis of your device."

Do I connect pin 6 to the hotrod board's input ground and pin 9 to the hotrod's input signal?

thanks again.

hi needlz,
what JC is saying is that you should run a wire from pin 6 and attach it to one of the two screws on the transformer pinboard side. the transformer is mounted to the chassis by screws on the other side of the input transformer and that mounting hole connects to the pinboard side screws so you get chassis connection by just mounting it to the screw on the pinboard side.
i don't think this follows strict star ground sense, but it works and i don't have any hum problems any of my channels on my quad unit.
regards,
grant

Thanks again for the help - my problems are running deeper than the input tx wiring. As I shovel through all the build questions/threads/info I discover more mistakes I have made along the way. I most likely fried out my 2n3055s by hooking up the earth grounds on the hotrod board (am using a JLM powersupply).

I can't find any info on the vtb2169 - Is it wired up just like the vtb9049?

I should have built this bad boy back when everyone else was but got caught up in some other stuffs.

cheers

So I missed this issue for the longest of time for some reason.. I have a question though:

Whatever changes were done technically to make these transformers (Carnhill "special" group buy) more like the originals, are they still "effective" despite this snafu? Does it still sound "more like the original" than the "regular" current version?

If anyone could give me a hint as to what went wrong and what is right and what is corrected I'd be really grateful,

thanks,

mattias

Back