"Crush-n-Blend"

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi there!
Just fully stuffed the board (the rev2) and noticed that there are sine holes for resitors above ic2 and ic3 and  and one below ic1, next to r9 (10k).
What was the purpose of thoss holes? i don't see anything on the schem about 'm.. so just wondering..

About the potmeter, pin 3 is ground but where do pin 1, 2, 4 and 5 connect to exactly on the pot?

ok... i now know what the not mentioned holes are... something like a 0.000000r resistor... in other terms.. jumper..  ;D
intcrush.jpg

dagoose said:
ok... i now know what the not mentioned holes are... something like a 0.000000r resistor... in other terms.. jumper..  ;D
intcrush.jpg

I think there were 3 or 5 spots that needed to be jumpered. I had indeed some 0R resistors available, so used these  8)

That's fun to see, your PCBs green, mine are blue.

Bye,

Peter

OK, got it working here! The only thing that goes wrong (was working in the beginning) is that the right channel wet (so compressor) sounds like there is a low pass filter on it.. weird.. left channel is working fine
But so far i like it!  ;D

this is weird.. at least, doesn't make sense to me.

When i pull out ic2 the channel is working fine though ofcourse the signal is lost a bit because ic2a en ic2b are buffering but the blend function works ok.
If i put the ic in, the dry signal is working fine but the compressed signal sounds like it has a cap in parallel, no distortion but everyting above let's day 1khz is gone. The dry signal is working fine and the other channel as well.
I tried reversing left and right and then the same happens to the other channel so it its the C n B board ic2 path.
Switched opamps, soldered everything again, tinned the tracks etc but still the same...

Any ideas?  ???
Maybe a cap causing it?

When i pull out both opamps it's working fine (check this file http://www.dagoosemusic.nl/temp/parallellssl.wav)
When both opamps are in this happens (only the channel that goes wrong recorded and rendered to mono) http://www.dagoosemusic.nl/temp/parallellssl2.wav
Only thing i notice with removed opamps is that the low end gets lost when turning to the compressed side tough it is a bit overly pumping in GSSL mode this way.

Interesting problem. Can't really get into it but let me go over the components and see what it might be. It's a good starting point at any rate to know that it works in general; I'll get back to you.

Yah weird, that is. So your implant worked right, and when you pull the chips it works, but even when you swap ICs the same channel is screwed? I really wonder what it could be, really sounds like some cap would be shorting the high stuff to ground, but then what you should be getting is the missing high end with chips pulled, too...

Might I suggest you build the other one too and then just see if the problem is in the system itself? I mean, I got the exact same one working lovely, produced 3 CDs through it, not a hitch...

livingnote said:
Yah weird, that is. So your implant worked right, and when you pull the chips it works, but even when you swap ICs the same channel is screwed? I really wonder what it could be, really sounds like some cap would be shorting the high stuff to ground, but then what you should be getting is the missing high end with chips pulled, too...

Might I suggest you build the other one too and then just see if the problem is in the system itself? I mean, I got the exact same one working lovely, produced 3 CDs through it, not a hitch...

Yeah... it still doesn't make sense to me either.. it does indeed sound like a cap to ground to me but why not with the 5532 pulled out? signal still goes through the circuit but is using the feedback section then.

I allready build the other board but didn't have time to test it yet but i suspect it will work right away.
I was thinking a bit about the 5532 mod you do with the resistors, i didn't do that yet but it also doens't make sense because then both channels should have the same value.
Could it be that i didn't clean the board before soldering and that i have some capacitance going around somewhere? can try to clean the board with alcohol, it must be so simple to fix it, i probably think to diffecult..

I will make my c n b switchable with a relay btw, i'm about to order a new frontpanel at schaeffer, will post the design when it's done. the ultimate, turbo, sidechained, hi and lo pass filter, th filter aand parallel version with ssl vca's. I'll probably go for a gold panel, fit's the interior: GSSL gold :)

ok... board is up again so time for a post.  ;D

Found the problem... knew it had to be something simple and it was.. mixed up the 33pf feedback and a 100nf cap so the 100nf cap was the feedback cap reducing the hi frequencies.  :-\
Now it's working like a charm! Next year i will be experimenting with a low pass filter in the sidechain section, actually.. the thing that caused my problem. ;D At least i now now that a 100nf is not enough to let just the low frequencies through, it has to be at least 220nf or more.

Will keep you posted, time for some oliebollen en appelflappen met champagne of ouderwets bier now.  :-*

Hey great to see them working for you, guys  :D

That's really funny with the feedback cap, you must have been so involved
with your lopass that you kinda manifested it  ;)

And it's real duh when you think about it, but if you don't know it's a bugger.
There's one more for the "what could it be if it sounds like that"-department...

Cheers and have a happy new year,

Lukas

hello and happy new year everybody

i want to be sure to hundersand well where implant and solder on the gssl board.

crushi10.png

Someone can confirm or correct me if i'm wrong.
thank you Lukas for this great mod

Ps: excuse my bad english ;)
Cyril

That will work like that. Just remember that on the PCB, the resistor
and cap positions on the output aren't as they are on the schematic.

I have the full instructions in the support thread.

And nice pic btw, I'll add it to the thread. Thanks!

Cheers,

Lukas

well , I want to remote control actually with some sort of control voltage, so thing could be part of my delay line.

Back