DIY 1272 for Newbies? C'mon.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
how much do lundahls cost you Kev? we get them here for around 40-50$. I don't know how much to ship to australia, but myself and others would surely be glad to broker some pieces if it would come out cheaper for you.

:thumb:

According to Rick at Control Devices, I should be able to use an LL1538 on the input without any problems and an LL1582 on the output, prices are approx., $90AU and $110AU respectively. The LL1582 is not gapped but Rick used to service things Neveish and feels that it could be used...............I don't think I'll risk it at this stage.

Svart, o/seas prices can look "attractive" but once shipping is factored in it is sometimes just not worth worrying about importing..........

Hey Knightsy, good to see you come out from under the Turtle's Rock :grin:

ChrisO :cool:

[quote author="HiString"]Hey Knightsy, good to see you come out from under the Turtle's Rock :grin:

ChrisO :cool:[/quote]

How are ya mate :grin:

I would probably post more often on here if I had something worth contributing lol. I just figured out how a bypass cap works in a CE amplifier!

Kev, never mind the confusion, I thought you guys were talking about another Rick.

Hi All
You might be interested in our new gapped output transformer which we will have stock of a couple of hundred next week and will start shipping in the new year. This transformer is identical size to the Neve LO1166 but has a wiring tag board that is only 38mm wide so it will fit sideways into most 1 rack unit high cases. The transformer is designed to be used as a LO1166 in Neve BA283 output circuits or output transformer for our JLM99v Mic Pres or any other opamp that can drive a 150ohm load. So it will work with or without DC in the primary. Estimated price at the moment is $80AUD incl GST or $55USD each plus shipping. Will get this up on the web site over the new years break.

JLMNeve.jpg

Photo is shown before the JLM transformer has been epoxy dipped like the Neve one to the right of the photo.

Hope everyone has a Merry Xmas & Happy New Year :grin:

Joe

hi joe-

cool news! were these designed to have a similar sounding characteristic to a LO1166, or do they have a different sonic footprint?

dave

[quote author="JLM Audio"]... You might be interested in our new gapped output transformer which we will have stock of a couple of hundred next week and will start shipping in the new year. [/quote]
:green: :green: :green:
you guys should listen to me when I leak info .... :thumb:
I may not scream it from the roof tops but subtly insert it into my usual responses here.
:wink:

As for Lundahls ... :sad: ... I asked for a quote and it was likely I would get a few but the quote came back as if I were an AudioFool.
I don't ask a second time ... :cool:

Dave I will put up all the graphs comparing it to the real LO1166 and one of the sowters like I did for the 10468 over the new year break. Sound wise it is more extended & silky in the high frequencies and less muddy in the low mids. So basically it is a slight bit faster transient wise. So one on one it would be extremely hard to pick and you would have to do lots of serious listening to pick it at all but as you layer more tracks recorded with it the mix will stay clearer in the low mids.

While we are on the subject below are our new 1.6" wide x 1" high BAX83NV & BAX83AM modules. They 0.1" pin spacing so can be mounted on Veroboard. These are going on a new module that will look a bit like our 1272 to 1073 module but will be a complete 1290,1064,1073 mic pre that will fit in the palm off your hand (1.7"wide x 3.4" long x 1.4" high and just need the in & out transformer wired to it. Not sure if it will be fully built or as a kit yet. Will see where demand takes us.

BAX83NV.jpg

BAX83AM.jpg

Also there will be a new Active DI mounted on the back of a Jack for giving all transformer input mic pres a 1Meg DI input including our Dual 99v kit.
Also a small PCB with three DPDT toggles on it and all the parts for a 48v, PAD, Phase switch for using with the above micro 1290 mic pre.

Do email if you have ideas that you think should be incorporated in the above PCB's.
Don't email asking when they will be ready. When they are ready I will put them on the web site and mention them here on the Lab. But I am aiming for February.

Joe

from Joe:
Also there will be a new Active DI mounted on the back of a Jack for giving all transformer input mic pres a 1Meg DI input including our Dual 99v kit.

Just curious, will that signal still pass thru the input-TX ?

A while ago there was a G9-related discussion about eventual sonic differences of where to put the instr-input: after the inp-TX (as it is now in the G9) or in front of it, with a buffer.

Obviously, the latter would give additional 'iron-processing'TM, which can be desirable or not needed.

Your description sounds like it'll be in front, right ?

Peter

Just wanted to chime in and say that thanks to another board member here in New Orleans, who let me borrow a some preamps, I was able to try a pair of Neve 1064s yesterday in a guitar session. This was my first experience with anything Neve. Those units have a lot of gain... I wasn't even using the third gain stage at all. Sonically it was very creamy, but I thought it was a little mushy in the low mids, say compared to something like an API. I will have them for a few more days, and will be trying them on some other guitars and perhaps some vocals as well.

Greg,

I agree entirely. Neve's have gained a strong reputation (and some borderline ridiculous prices) because of the authority of the sound they produce. However, it is this heavy-handed sonic signature that makes them, IMHO, limited in their use. For drums, I absofreakinlutely love them, as well as for vocals that need to cut through a dense mix. But for most other things something like an api fits the bill by adding tone, but not so much that your mix becomes muddy by using it on lots of tracks.

I really like Dan Kennedy's approach to cleaning up the tone a bit to make this design a bit more broadly applicable (GR's NV preamp). Joe Malone's new output transformer will probably be a great thing for this as well, based on his stated objective for the design. I'm gonna get a couple to check out for sure.

As to the gain, yeah, for most pop-related tracking two gain stages is enough. If you need a touch more gain then something like JLM's Hot-Rod Mod for the 1272 should get you there. I have actually built several channels of my own take on the two-stage design based on some of Joe's work as well as input for Geoff Tanner, etc, adjusting gain on both stages, and the results are fabulous. I do have some original 3-stage Neve's, but for drums and anything generally 'loud', my 1272's are wonderful.

If anyone is interested, I'd be happy to share the schematic. It's a very simple design, but still allows six different gain settings (up to 65dB) and a continuously variable pad/trim. If you want it, PM me with an email address, or if anyone wants to host it and post a link here, just let me know. I think it's a great first Neve project for DIY'ers.

Peace,

JC

[quote author="JLM Audio"]Dave I will put up all the graphs comparing it to the real LO1166 and one of the sowters like I did for the 10468 over the new year break. Sound wise it is more extended & silky in the high frequencies and less muddy in the low mids. So basically it is a slight bit faster transient wise. So one on one it would be extremely hard to pick and you would have to do lots of serious listening to pick it at all but as you layer more tracks recorded with it the mix will stay clearer in the low mids. [/quote]

What input impedances will you have for us Senor Mallone?

Joe! Very pretty little boards you get there!

Can you tell us which transistor did you use in the output ??

I aslo find out that the Neve sound is very impressive, but not for everything. I'm using some custom output transformer also with bigger core and the sound of the unit is just fantastic! I mean, I don't feel I need to stick with the originals to have some great tone. Look at Joe trafos, they look soooo good! Price is good! And I'm sure they are easier than Carnhill to get. :)

BTW for you starting out building Neves, why not go for the Rafafreddy boards. Give it a shot! He did a great job there...

cheers!
Fabio

Yes, I´ll probably offer some boards in the very near future.

By the way... I´ve tried the TIP3055 at the output and it works great!

[quote author="rafafredd"]Yes, I´ll probably offer some boards in the very near future.

By the way... I´ve tried the TIP3055 at the output and it works great![/quote]

283 boards or more? Interested and curious, if you've got pics & such.

rgrds,
Brad

1272rackfront800.jpg

This is the lasered front panel that with different logos and bit of moving things away form the rack wings more will become the universal front panel that can be bolted on to most rack cases to give our 99V and 1290 kits a professional finish. The lasering turns the black anodising white and does not scratch off unless you take to it with an angle grinder.

The output transistor can be one of many TOP3 or TO220 output devices. You just want to pick a device that that has a FT of around 2.5 to 3Mhz and a similar hfe like the 2N3055. So the TIP3055 is obvious. But it will need more heatsinking to keep it at the same temp as the T03 2N3055 which has more surface area than the TOP3 TIP3055 or TO220 MJE3055. We use a different device to these but we use it because we have used it in lots of other gear so it has proven to be reliable and also inexpensive and readily available.

Joe

Just depends on which input transformer you use as to what input impedance you get. The electronics still loads the input transformer with the same load as a real 1073. If you mean can you switch between the two input impedances like the 1073 then you will just have to mount the switch on the back panel like the 1073 did.

Joe

Latest posts

Back