G7 noise troubleshooting session. [Solved]

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps this is a silly question, but how much gain are you applying?

There will always be some noise of course - perhaps you are just amplifying it too much throughout the whole listening chain and it seems more noisy than it would be in realistic use?

Just something to check...

Sorry I missed that. Good idea to put the capsule back and test. Noise might be acceptable, depending what you're gonna record with it.

I had the gain set pretty hot; hot enough for the noise to register on the level LEDs of my pre so I could tell easily if it became quieter over the burn in. And it did. I'm hopeful fellas. I'll get a chance this afternoon to get the capsule back in.

I have the capsule in. I need to crank the pre all the way to the max to get a suitable level just speaking into the mic, and the noise makes what little level I get unusable. Another problem that I've always had is the polarization switching has never worked. The switch does nothing whatsoever. I get the loud pop everyone complains about, but no change in pattern whatsoever. Unrelated issue or clue?

I don't unfortunately. I'm going to hit all the solder joints in the PSU and see if that helps. I can double check my connections more easily if I take it all apart too... I'm thinking if there's a flux ridden ground it could be causing my issues.

AFAIK it's a good idea to keep all the high impedance stuff very clean of flux and moisture - perhaps try a good flux remover or iso-alcohol and cotton tips/buds.

It's always possible there is something wrong with your capsule - if it's putting out really low level then the mic might seem noisy.

That was the realization I was coming around to. If I set the pre where I normally have it for condenser mics, the noise is all but imperceptible. Can't tell you how much I want to blow another 300-500 on this project :/ I guess Peluso does capsule refurbishing (that's what I'm using). Maybe I'll see what's up with that. 

Point taken. I did get an MXL something or other free the other day. Maybe I'll rip that apart... in the meantime I desoldered, defluxed, and resoldered all the joints between the capsule and the 1 gig resistors with no effect. I was sure that would help, they were pretty dirty... That's it for me for today. Thanks a lot for your time Haima. :)

I think I may have it... on the schematic there are a few components marked with an * for an optional feedback circuit. On the PCB there are more components marked with a * than the schematic. Closer examination of the PCB layout states that a * simply means that that particular component should be mounted on the PCB side. Knowing nothing about building microphones, I omitted everything with a *, assuming they were all fb components when in fact, they may be coupling caps! Could it be... thoughts?

Yes you have it. You should only omit 2k2 pot and 100MF cap. You seem to be missing some very important components. No wonder it isn't working properly.. Good luck!

Haha!! That was totally it! That's why my polar pattern select never worked and my signal level sucked. It sounds great, I can't wait to try it out. I think I'll make a new post that condenses all the problems I had along with pics and sound bytes in the next week. Thanks again everyone! I owe you all my G7!!

Back