GroupdDIY 511 Racks: round 5.5 available

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Todays topic Customs:

I had some assembled Preamps sent to me in Canada and got hit with 6.5% duty tariff! So I called Canada Border Services to explain them selves and it looks like they can charge this fee. So we then looked at the fees for parts and came up with the following description that should have no duty charged under  NAFTA. This is the link to the Tariff PDF if anyone is having trouble sleeping. http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2009/t2009-06/ch85-eng.pdf

Jeff when you ship to me please place in the USPS "Detailed description of contents":

CBSA Tariff # 8531.90.10  Electronic parts

Thanks JamesW

JamesW said:
Todays topic Customs:...

Jeff when you ship to me please place in the USPS "Detailed description of contents":

CBSA Tariff # 8531.90.10  Electronic parts

Thanks JamesW

Yes, I will do this. I always put "Electronic components" in my description. I will add the tariff number just take make it easier for Customs.

I had a similar thing when I bought a couple of RADARs from IZ Corp direct about 2 1/2 years ago. I was not charged anything for tax, duty or tariff when I received them from FedEx. About 8 months ago, (nearly 2 years after the purchase), I received a notice from the State of IL that I owed IL State use tax of 6.25% on them plus penalties and interest for being 2 years late! I was so pissed. I paid the tax of nearly $900 and told them to ef-off on the penalties and interest. I told them they need a better way of collecting these things at the time of delivery and it was not my fault they are prehistoric when it comes to that. I told them to investigate how VAT works and is handled and maybe they could learn something. They did not care. They are corrupt and broke...and I still have to pay the penalties and interest.  ???

okgb said:
you can shoot me as a scarafice cause it's killing me anyway
Can I keep your rack for me then??? Just kidding  ;D I was gonna write something smart-ass about US Customs but I don't want to get water-boarded at Gitmo for a bad joke. ::)

jsteiger said:
... I was gonna write something smart-ass about US Customs but I don't want to get water-boarded at Gitmo for a bad joke. ::)
is it that bad in the states :D
I wrote this in the german forum about german customs, haven't been visited up to doday ;D

btw, your blank panels just arrived too.
EUR 70 customs and tax, to be paid cash at the door, without telling you before ???
good luck it wasn't some EUR 71,67 since they never can give any small money back ???
hey, but they look very cool and fit Sahibs metal work I'm assembly right now mechanically and with the color - just perfect.

My personal favourite is when your goods are delivered and then after the fact some company sends you a bill for duty(if any) and brokerage. MY perpetual response is always the same "who authorized you to clear this shipment on our behalf...?". Rarely end up having to pay, as I will happily make the 10 minute drive to my local customs office and fill out the paper work to save $25-$50.

[silent:arts] said:
...hey, but they look very cool and fit Sahibs metal work I'm assembly right now mechanically and with the color - just perfect.
Ah good! Somethings today are good  ;)

Pics please?  8)

I sent a Soundcraft 200B console to France which got lost, not a trace. But this damn thing takes the trophy. I am sure it is Tony Soprano at work. If they turn up at the black market just let the moderators know. ;D

Ptownkid said:
My personal favourite is when your goods are delivered and then after the fact some company sends you a bill for duty(if any) and brokerage. MY perpetual response is always the same "who authorized you to clear this shipment on our behalf...?". Rarely end up having to pay, as I will happily make the 10 minute drive to my local customs office and fill out the paper work to save $25-$50.

Got a new one UPS is pulling.

I ordered a game from across the border around x-mas time, $250 worth. (Don't ask).

The company worked out a "special deal" with UPS for cross border transactions.

I hate UPS and their brokerage, but I "needed" the game and had no other choice. (Don't ask)

Package show's up two weeks after Christmas. (grrrrr)

UPS guy: Hi, we've got a COD! $70!!

Me: Wow, can I see an invoice???

UPS guy: Nope, don't have one!

Me: Okay, we'll I'm gonna have to pick it up at the depot.

UPS guy: Slightly perterbed, okay. Walks away....

Me: Ahhhh, do you have a slip with the info on it so I can pick it up?

UPS guy: Nope, just tell em who you are!

I must say, that the level of "customer support" has really gone down hill and their "brokerage service" is a total money grab, still no invoce. How do you charge someone without an invoice????

I'm sure they decided they can't be bothered to debate charges with the customer at the door anymore, so no invoice.

They're getting close to "banker" territory.

Crooks!!

Mark

I didn't like it but UPS for digikey
across the border works o.k. [ if you're home ]
apparently the difference is paying in Can funds

Now back to grp 51 , guess we'll have to wait til monday
you can't pay for incompetence or lack of caring

You gotta be yankin' me. I thought my case with Customs back in 2007 was isolated to me due to the dumb-ass company that set up the brokering. But sadly, I see that this kind of crap is not uncommon.

I'm pulling for everyone to get through this unscathed.

jsteiger said:
Pics please?  8)
sorry for the crapy pic, will try to do some better shots tomorrow
engraved custom panels by nrgrecording, the two blanks on the right side are yours.

IMG_5872.jpg

as you can see I'm packing screws right now ...
one, two, three, four, ... eight, ... twenty two, ... fourty eight, ... and so on.
this is a real boring job :(

Customs is part of the government.  There is no act to get together, it's just them doing what they do and us having no choice but to deal with it.

I bet they charge a "storage" fee for the time they can't find the package..

Svart said:
....I bet they charge a "storage" fee for the time they can't find the package..
I hate to say it but I bet you are right. That must be how they chip away at our ginormous deficit.

Jeff if ups is the shipper/broker and the shipment is insured next time you speak with them ask about starting the claim! Since they are self insured that has away of moving things along at times also mention fedex as often as possible

jsteiger said:
Svart said:
....I bet they charge a "storage" fee for the time they can't find the package..
I hate to say it but I bet you are right. That must be how they chip away at our ginormous deficit.

Jeff,

Yes this will come up and you'll give them the biggest bollocking of all times. Don't ever pay. You'll never get it back. Make sure it is taken off before you give your credit card details. Take a note of every conversation right down to the day, hour minute, not to mention the name of the person.

I bought about 10 mics from Canada once and it was a huge deal.  They lost them at customs only to have them show up about a month later and then try and blame it all on me.  That was with an agent!  After that we started to just use the Candian Post and the US Post Office.  This is the one case where a government system actual worked better.  Actually its the only case that Post office was actually better then UPS or Fedex. 

Back