GroupdDIY 511 Racks: round 5.5 available

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is actually the Continental Airlines who can not locate the shipment. My shipping agent gives me a minute detail of the movement until the shipment landed in Newark and stored for customs. After that the airline says they can not locate the shipment. If we do not get anywhere within the next week then unfortunately I have to file for claim. My business insurance normally does not cover for US. For some reason the insurance companies in UK are very reluctant to include cover for US. Luckily, before I shipped I phoned up and paid additional £50 to extend "goods in transport" to US. It will probably be one of the best 50 quids I have ever spent. But I would rather that they are found.

sahib said:
It is actually the Continental Airlines who can not locate the shipment. My shipping agent gives me a minute detail of the movement until the shipment landed in Newark and stored for customs. After that the airline says they can not locate the shipment. If we do not get anywhere within the next week then unfortunately I have to file for claim. My business insurance normally does not cover for US. For some reason the insurance companies in UK are very reluctant to include cover for US. Luckily, before I shipped I phoned up and paid additional £50 to extend "goods in transport" to US. It will probably be one of the best 50 quids I have ever spent. But I would rather that they are found.
That was a very good choice you made Sahib. I guess this may be a very good lesson learned for everyone. Purchase insurance for the replacement value of what you are shipping. You just never know what can happen.

I really hope they locate it. They have to. How many people would even have a clue what the stuff is for. Hey, I wonder if any Lab members happen to work for Continental Airlines at the Newark Airport??  :eek:

OK let's not panic just yet. I say this because as I said earlier my $3k amplifier from England went AWOL for 1 month stuck in Customs.

I don't regularly ship international, but let me try to understand something...

You say your agent gives you details about a shipment until it gets to customs. You've not heard from him so assuming it must be in Customs by now (because like you say he would update you regularly).

So it sounds like Continental can't find it because it's already in Customs. ::)

Am I missing something here?  ???

They would have a receipt that they reached customs and the agent and the airline would be waving it up and down to put the blame on customs ! Get all your paperwork together because if it becomes a claim your going to have to fight for every penny of insured value!!!
Yep Lesson #1 always insure it but fighting with the insurance company is PITA I hope it was LLoyds the are pretty pro active !

fazeka said:
So it sounds like Continental can't find it because it's already in Customs. ::)

Am I missing something here?  ???

Yes you are.

Stored for customs does not mean it was handed over to the customs. The airline takes the shipment into a transit area for customs clearance. Once this is done it is loaded onto another plane to Chicago O'Hare as our delivery/collection point is O'Hare not Newark.

any need for something like this ;D

GDIY51CEA.gif

YES!
picocomp place used to sell 'em--15 pin version.

I am about to cut up some DBX NR modules for their card-edge.

volker, the picocomp version had two holes for each finger, which came in very handy on a lot of occasions. I would vote for abbreviated labelling (i.e. CH instead of Chassis, etc) and a second connection per finger.
just my 2 cents.

Hey guys,

I got a fun little project going I thought I would post here due to the relevance of the racks. It's a simple, straight up 312 circuit 51x style....with a few twists. I've made the voltage rails to the DOA switchable for a Forsell, JLM, Hardy or whatever. The extra pins can easily be snipped off ala Peter Purpose if someone will only use it in a standard 500 rack. The full board as is mounts to my current L-bracket and the faceplate layout is identical as my VP2x stuff. That board width is 4-1/2", standard 500 size. As you can see, I have 2 horizontal lines in the silk where the copper pour stops. There are also 4 additional inner mounting holes. By trimming the board along both of these lines, you remove 3/4" in total, leaving you a PCB of 3-3/4". So, 4 of these will easily fit in a 1U rack, side by side, for someone who is anti 51x or 500 series all together. That I can't figure out but to each his own!

VP312-PCB-SS.jpg

I have a proto on its way. Should get here by next Monday.

Cheers, Jeff

[silent:arts] said:
any need for something like this ;D

GDIY51CEA.gif

I was just thinking of asking around if anybody knows where I might be able to get something like this. I was thinking it might be cool to get full card size blanks with the pins but perfboard on the rest of the card. I know you guys are all about getting PCBs designed and made, but I still prefer perfboard  ;D

wouldnt be too difficult to cut an insert for your iron and whatnot

tyler:
audiomaintenance had and may still have exactly what you describe, plated through too. but without the 24v rail option.

this is 51X is getting exciting

briomusic said:
volker, the picocomp version had two holes for each finger, which came in very handy on a lot of occasions. I would vote for abbreviated labelling (i.e. CH instead of Chassis, etc) and a second connection per finger.
just my 2 cents.
Brio, thanks for the cents ;D ;D ;D
no problem to add some more solder points.
and I will connect the 2 GNDs together, maybe with a solder bridge or a way to remove the link if wanted.

Jeff, bastard ;D ;D ;D
I wanted to be the first one with a real 51x card ;)
ok, I might be the first one with a 51x exclusive card ...
nice idea with the voltage switch, makes changing different DOAs like a Plug-In even with different voltages. 8)
the only thing I miss is :eek: :eek: :eek:
well, you already know what :D :D :D
exciting, really exciting.

now, let them find your package today, let Mr. Mueller ship my PSU transformers today, let Neutrik ship the backorder today, let my card boxes arrive today and it will be the best day I have had this year :)

shabtek said:
tyler:
audiomaintenance had and may still have exactly what you describe, plated through too. but without the 24v rail option.

this is 51X is getting exciting

thanks!

Good to know! I just found it... 20 pounds a board plus shipping to the states! :eek:
it's the gold plating I figure, which is something I could do without. Beggars can't be choosers, I guess  :-\

so who wants to take on a 17 pin version?  ;)

or, what would be the best way to integrate the pinstrip s:a posted? Is the pin spacing the same as perfboard? Could I potentially solder a perfboard to it with component leads with traces/pads on the outsides?

just ordered 50 pieces for testing. yes, the gold plating is expensive, the first run will have a price of EUR 5,- each.
might get be cheaper if the gerbers work out fine and ordered in hundreds afterward (no tooling costs again if all works fine). no shipping from germany if you order from classicAPI.com

tylerromo said:
so who wants to take on a 17 pin version?  ;)
or, what would be the best way to integrate the pinstrip s:a posted? Is the pin spacing the same as perfboard? Could I potentially solder a perfboard to it with component leads with traces/pads on the outsides?
actually it is 18pin, but pin 16 left out ;)
spacing is like the connector, 3.96mm
added a second row of solder points like Brio suggested.
no problem soldering a perfoboard via wires to it.
I did take care the mounting wholes are fitting Jeffs L-Brackets, if you don't want to do your own.
we might talk Jeff into doing some L-Brackets without his front cut outs  :D

I also need a bunch of these.
Will they be for sale when you get them??

...Jeff, bastard ;D ;D ;D
Actually I think that would go to Peter Purpose for his 1084?
ok, I might be the first one with a 51x exclusive card ...
This I will bet on. You will be the first. ;D
the only thing I miss is :eek: :eek: :eek:
well, you already know what :D :D :D
In good time. I wanted to get this underway first. What you desire will be next! 8)

now, let them find your package today...
Yes indeed. This is most crucial right now.

Nice work with the extra PTH's and connecting the grounds. :)

BTW, what color will these be?? Your signature yellow maybe??? I wish we could get the matte finish in all colors.  ::) Maybe we work on them for that?

Cheers, Jeff

So what is the first on going to be??? I'm hoping for the Jensamp (you are still gonna do that one right).......any idea when it's going to be available???

Also, any word on what projects are in the pipeline from others in the 51x alliance???

Back