GroupdDIY 511 Racks: round 5.5 available

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Brice,

Sorry it took me so long. I've been bizzy on my own metalwork adventure.  ;D

No problem. I have backs on hand. I'll gladly send you another. At this point, I won't get it out until Monday AM, if that is alright.

I'll send a label to get that one back returned, and I will deal with it.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Cheers, Jeff

I put one rack together this afternoon with no problems on the back side.  Everything fit well.  Second rack goes on the bench on Monday.  Do you suggest pins and jumpers for the Pin 1 and link options?
BTW, those are brutal transformers!  Wouldn't want to drop one on my foot!
Thanks!
Best,
Bruno2000

Hi Guys

Started to assemble mine today.  Everything fits perfectly!!!!
All I can say is the backplane PCB and metalwork are a first class
bit of engineering. :) :)  If anyone is having trouble with fit its got to be
a problem with the outside suppliers and not the design of volker
and company.  So far so good guys...THANKS

GARY

Yes I agree. The 3mm PCB is incredible. The paint job is beautiful. The whole thing is really incredible. I think my back plane had some extra paint in the first two sets of xlr holes. Any can anyone tell me if this
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=GSIB2540-E3%2f45virtualkey61370000virtualkey625-GSIB2540-E3

will in place of the GSIB2520 bridge rectifier. I am just about to place my components order and could really use some answers. I also was curious what screws to use for the regulators and what "TR" fastener means.

OH I am a needy child hungry for information...

-Brice

hi jeff,
received my DIY 511 rack kit.  i opened it up just to check if all the main parts were there and everything seems to be there bubble wrapped beautifully.  your packing is so precise that i was not able to get it back in as neatly, but then again i was never very good at tetris. :D
thanks to cemal, volker and you for making this available.  glad to be taking part of the revolution.
the api lunchbox in the studio is on it's way out. ;D
cheers!
grant

funkymonksf said:
Jeff the Xlrs literally do not fit in. The first two sets of holes are too small. The rest alright, some snug, some fairly loose. I have not soldered anything in at all. I'll try to post a picture.

-Brice
Brice, a new back is coming your way. You should have received the UPS Quantum View already. I literally fit an XLR into every hole just to be sure and all fit, no problems.

Cheers, Jeff

sahib said:
This was explained few times but I'll explain again.

The difference between API and 511 is much greater than you think. Miles apart. GDIY 511 Caters for + - 16V and + - 24V. API does not. We used metal XLRs as opposed to plastic ones of API. 511 is made of 1.5mm steel and has 3mm PCB. API is 1.2mm at best and has thinner PCB.

However, the power supply can be made much, much, much and much cheaper. All it requires is a little imagination. The main cost of the psu is the mains transformer and the case. I have designed the case with certain type of electrical components such as the mains switch, IEC, fues holders and 7 pin Neutrik. In terms of the electronic components I have looked up the best ones available from RS Components.

Now, let's look at the savings.

You can purchase an off the shelf case and cut the holes by yourself.

Use a switch that costs 99 pence (that is exactly what is used on API) as opposed to the nice one with illumination that I picked which costs around £5.

Use fuse holders that cost again 99 pence.

Use an IEC without the mains voltage selector. It costs around £1.50

The 7 pin Neutrik panel socket and cable plug set costs £20. You can buy a 7 pin connector set for around £5 which will again do the job.

In terms of the elctronic components you can use capacitors that are rated at 80 degrees C as opposed to the 110 degrees C that I selected. In fact the 10,000uF 50V reservoir capacitors I selected cost over £5 each. You can get ones that cost half the price. That alone saves you £10.

You can use bridge rectifiers with lower current rating and let them heat up on full power output.

Instead of multiturn trimmer that costs almost £2 each just use a one turn trimpot that costs about 20p. You'll have hard time in setting the output voltage but still acceptable.

Etc, etc, etc.

So you can literally half the cost of the psu by using cheaper components. Which, incidently what the commercial units use in general.

But most important above all is  the fact that API manufactures these units in thousands. Probably in ten thousand range. We manufacture at one hundred at a time. We use the best and most expensive components (at retail prices) and we are still cheaper.

Now, I have just complained in Brewery that we do not brag 511. We do not. All I am trying to explain is that you can do things greatly cheaper by using cheaper components.

How does one use the Neutrik 7 Pin connectors when the backplane board is set up for the 5 Pin?
Thanks!
Bruno2000

bruno2000 said:
How does one use the Neutrik 7 Pin connectors when the backplane board is set up for the 5 Pin?
using the 8pin Molex connector next to the 5pin Neutrik?
I'm sorry,Neutrik just doesn't offer PCB mount 7pin XLRs :(

[silent:arts] said:
bruno2000 said:
using the 8pin Molex connector next to the 5pin Neutrik?
I'm sorry,Neutrik just doesn't offer PCB mount 7pin XLRs :(
Yes, just jumper wire to the Molex holes.

part# 627-D5SB80-7000
should do it if i'm not mistaken.  IIRC the faston connectors are just for hookup to the iec inlet, assuming the inlet you select will accommodate them.  skip and solder, pick your poison.

funkymonksf said:
Thanks Jeff,

I saw that in my email.

Jeff will a this part work for the bridge rectifier.
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=GSIB2540-E3%2f45virtualkey61370000virtualkey625-GSIB2540-E3
in place of the GSIB2520 bridge rectifier.

I can't find any info on what a faston connector is or the tr fastener... Oh anyone?

-Thanks

Hey guys,

Still got a few of these 511 rack its available. I am not sure when we will be doing another run.

So, don't delay, order today!  :D ;D

Cheers, Jeff

Back