GroupdDIY 511 Racks: round 5.5 available

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Siegfried Meier said:
... Why would anyone build this thing if the real deal was cheaper?  Am I missing something? ...

yes Sir ;D
it is DIY - you don't have to buy the whole package :D 8) ::) ;)
otherwise we wouldn't have split it ;D

what I would like to know: what is "the real deal" ??? ??? ???

Old standards +/- 16  no 24v rails
and you know that no corner's were cut
on the 51x series
It's not quite a windows  / Mac thing BUT some things
are [ do work ] better

Well, I'm referring to the real deal as the API one, since they did invent that format.  Am I mistaken there?  Or did someone else invent 500 series that I'm not aware of?

I don't think Volker meant that by real deal but...

We have said this before an it is buried within this thread here and there. Here is a brief over view.

Like Volker said, the different parts and groupings of parts can be purchased alone or separately. The 511 rack only kit is $320 plus you need to add your power connector of choice. The rack that best compares to this is the BAE (no 1/8" thick backplane  :'() 11 space rack only which is $600 from VK. So far, a no brainer.

Now, lets add a PSU to the BAE rack. That price from VK is $950. Close to the price you noted when you add our parts. However, you can only power 11 modules on +/-16V with this BAE PSU. Volker's PSU has the balls to not only run the 11 modules on bipolar 16V but also +/- 24V to. That is 11 more modules.  8)

If you really see no need for the 24V rails, then maybe the 511 rack and a PSU off the shelf from BAE or API would be the ticket.

To compare this rack to the 10 space API, first this one goes to eleven!  8) And again, their PSU is only good for one rack of 10 modules, not 2 times 11. Keep in mind that the GDIY PSU is 11 modules on 16V and 11 on 24V, not 22 on one or the other.

Hope this makes some sense.

Best, Jeff

Cool thanks for the info!  I mean, it's obvious that it's a kick ass project, and initially I just thought it was the $320 price.  When I saw all the other stuff and started adding it all up, something just didn't make sense.  But it does when you factor in all that you've pointed out.

I'd like to look into this down the road.  However, the money involved in building up/buying 22 would require a small fortune HAHA!!

Anyway, I'll keep a close eye on it.

Thanks again!!!
Sig

jsteiger said:

We have said this before an it is buried within this thread here and there. Here is a brief over view.

Like Volker said, the different parts and groupings of parts can be purchased alone or separately. The 511 rack only kit is $320 plus you need to add your power connector of choice. The rack that best compares to this is the BAE (no 1/8" thick backplane  :'() 11 space rack only which is $600 from VK. So far, a no brainer.

Now, lets add a PSU to the BAE rack. That price from VK is $950. Close to the price you noted when you add our parts. However, you can only power 11 modules on +/-16V with this BAE PSU. Volker's PSU has the balls to not only run the 11 modules on bipolar 16V but also +/- 24V to. That is 11 more modules.  8)

If you really see no need for the 24V rails, then maybe the 511 rack and a PSU off the shelf from BAE or API would be the ticket.

To compare this rack to the 10 space API, first this one goes to eleven!  8) And again, their PSU is only good for one rack of 10 modules, not 2 times 11. Keep in mind that the GDIY PSU is 11 modules on 16V and 11 on 24V, not 22 on one or the other.

Best, Jeff

WHAT HE SAID !! :) :) :) (love mine :eek: :eek: :eek:)

Besides.. gota love the new avatar.. IT's..

SANTA JEFF!!!

Now where is my santa hat for a MM1000 ?? ??? ??? ;D ;D

GARY

BTW.. MERRY CHRISTMAS !!

If a fella were inclined, could he change some of the resistors on the PSU 24v rails to spit 16v and run 2 11 space 16v(only) racks?

johnnyscotch said:
If a fella were inclined, could he change some of the resistors on the PSU 24v rails to spit 16v and run 2 11 space 16v(only) racks
sure (but there will be more heat dropping down the 24V secondaries if the 51X PSU transformer is used)

Or one could buy a 51x rack and only make a +/- 16 -48 supply
and use a 4 or 5 pin connector or
buy the 51 x supply and omit the the 24v rails
[ although that would be wasting it ]

The power supply cases and psu component kits have been ready for almost two weeks now. But unfortunately due to bad weather conditions I have not been able to ship them to Jeff and Volker. Simply the couriers have suspended all collections from Scotland. In order not to keep you guys waiting any longer we considered to ship by a freight forwarder which is greatly more expensive than the usual courier that I use. Hopefully I'll be able to ship to them by the end of this week but it seems like you'll get delivery immediately after Christmas.

Also on behalf of my 511 bros I wish you all a very happy Christmas and a New Year.

sahib said:
The power supply cases and psu component kits have been ready for almost two weeks now. But unfortunately due to bad weather conditions I have not been able to ship them to Jeff and Volker. Simply the couriers have suspended all collections from Scotland. In order not to keep you guys waiting any longer we considered to ship by a freight forwarder which is greatly more expensive than the usual courier that I use. Hopefully I'll be able to ship to them by the end of this week but it seems like you'll get delivery immediately after Christmas.

Also on behalf of my 511 bros I wish you all a very happy Christmas and a New Year.

Any word on these for US delivery? I think I've got everything together but the power supply rack case. I'm debating whether or not to just put it in a project box or wait for the slick official 51x solution.

jsteiger said:

Best, Jeff

Well, look... I've got Both. An API lunchbox and a 51x rack and power supply (courtesy of the three kings of Orient Are! Messieurs Volkerman, Jeff-Boy and Doc Cemal), and I can attest that the lunchbox is an utter pile of crap compared to my 51x rack. Long live the kings! My fourpenneth

bkbirge said:
Any word on these for US delivery? I think I've got everything together but the power supply rack case. I'm debating whether or not to just put it in a project box or wait for the slick official 51x solution.

Jeff's shipment has landed in US and going through custom clearance as we speak. He'll be in receipt this week.  So please hang on there. You'll like the case. 

Either myself or Volker will update the list today or tomorrow.

However, we realise that the list is long and can be confusing to some. Though the reason was that you would have the freedom of obtaining the electrical and electronic parts from a supplier of your choice. But all the people who contacted me did not care about the list. All I was told was "give me the full kit and tell me how much it is".

Therefore we combined all the electrical components, wires, cables, screws, nuts, bolts and the lot with the psu case. There is no increase in the total price but you get everything you need to build the case and its electrical wiring. This eliminates any possibility of confusion and saves you time.

Back