My GSSL - finally finished

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, you guys are fast :shock:

Thanks for explaining how to wire the connectors. It made it real easy for me to hook it up! :thumb:
I have installed the filter and it works like a charm :guinness:

On my first listen it sounded really good! I'll post some more, when I have used it a bit more... I'll add some pictures of my clone with the filter installed as well, if anyone is interested...

@ Swart,
I used your PDF as a guide and wired the circuit by hand, as i can't make my own PCB's

Thanks for the help - I really apreciate it :thumb:

[quote author="Black Dog"]I have installed the filter[/quote]
well done! and yes, it's a great addition to the GSSL. not the original sound with the filter in, but much better :green:
post some pics of your unit people here like that :wink:

admitted I haven't compared it to a simple hipass filter:
it does not prevent the compressor to pump, it brings the high end back in the mix while compressing hard.
it's hard to describe, I'll try to do some soundfiles tomorrow.

[quote author="[silent:arts]"][quote author="Black Dog"]I have installed the filter[/quote]
well done! and yes, it's a great addition to the GSSL. not the original sound with the filter in, but much better :green:
post some pics of your unit people here like that :wink:[/quote]

Thanks! Here are some pictures. I haven't used the GSSL alot yet, but i hope to have some feedback on Thrust filter in a couple of days :thumb:

ssl_thrust_002.jpg

ssl_thrust_001.jpg

I didn't have the right PCB connectors, so thats why I'm using the two 5-pole connectors.

Lars

It would seem that this circuit could be built into it's own chassis (with PSU) and then used on most any comp/lim with sidechain access to get that amazing "tilt" sound! Can I patent this idea?

[quote author="[silent:arts]"]Lars, very nice work!
build time only one sunday? :thumb:
:guinness: :sam: :guinness: :green:[/quote]

Thanks again! :guinness:

I build the main circuit on a sunday. But like i wrote, i had a lot of help from Gustav and Jakob! :thumb: Gustav had allready soldered in all the resisters, when I arrived, so all I had to do was stuff the boards and connect the controlboard and the XLR's. Then Jakob checked, to make sure the circuit was working allright...
I spend another day, putting it in a box, rewiring some stuff and connecting the power. The Thrust filter took an afternoon to make..

So far I'm very happy with the result :grin:
But I think I will use a frontpanel from Schaffer for my next project. That Dymotape just dosn't do the GSSL justice :green:

@[silent:arts]: how did you power the lamps (inside the pushbuttons) and relay's (if you've used them that is)?
Did you make a seperate power supply for them?

[quote author="Black Dog"]
I haven't used the GSSL alot yet, but i hope to have some feedback on Thrust filter in a couple of days :thumb:[/quote]

Oh dear :shock:

After taking the last pictures i put the GSSL back in my rack and hey presto - it had stopped working :cry:

I'm digging through the SSL help thread, but I'm not understanding everything, so it might be a little while before I return with my comments on the Thrust filter..

Lars

stopped working? power? audio? all of it?

start with the power tests. start at the AC input and work towards the opamps. if all voltages are there then start with the audio.. again start at the input and work towards the output.. you should find where the signal stops pretty easy.

on the gssl, the weak areas are where the switch PCB goes to the multi wired harness that in turn goes to the main pcb. those wires always seem to break right at the board when you mess around inside the box.

It´s passing audio just fine, but it dosen't compress.

I'm at work now, but I'll check the voltages when I get home in about an hour.. Thanks for helping out :thumb:

Lars

[quote author="Black Dog"]It´s passing audio just fine, but it dosen't compress[/quote]
does the meter work?
could be some of the wires Svart mentioned, or the wires to / from the THRUST PCB.
let us know the details.

I'm home from work and have done some tests. Here are the details:

My voltages are:
+14,96
+11,98

I have checked the wires going from the main PCB to the control PCB and the ones going to the Thrust circuit and they all seen fine.

The meter dosen't respond at all.

I have makeup gain, when the comp is switched on.

Thanks!

Lars

check that you have some kind of audio coming back from the filter board. Check your connections and the wires going to and from the thrust-switch.

Jakob E.

[quote author="gyraf"]check that you have some kind of audio coming back from the filter board. Check your connections and the wires going to and from the thrust-switch.

Jakob E.[/quote]

Hi Jakob! :guinness:

I'm not shure what to look for, when checking that I have audio returning from the Thrust circuit. DCV? I have no DC at the white and orange wires going where the two 47K resisters used to be...

I checked the Thrust-switch and the 0V on the Thrust circuit and they seem fine..

Lars

Back