Nice Vocal Chain under $200 - MOD RECIPE

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gave this a whirl and then stumbled on the mxl 2001 mod. Both of these are great projects!

you're right about the sound....

best

Richie

Hello,

I opened my Art Tube MP its an older model , and it exactly the same one as in the pictures on the Black Lion mods page.

So there are only 2 op-amps in there and different caps.

I was all ready to do the modifications described here.

Any ideas what to mod on this one for the same effect ?

The Black Lion mods seem a bit too much for me.

Thanks,
Paul

What happened to this thread??? Is it broken???

I want to see what Buttachunk did with his MXL 990 but it's not there... It's like the basis of this thread is missing. :?

[quote author="thefunkybeat"]What happened to this thread??? Is it broken???

I want to see what Buttachunk did with his MXL 990 but it's not there... It's like the basis of this thread is missing. :?[/quote]
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=27722

Keith

SSLtech said:
[quote author="thefunkybeat"]What happened to this thread??? Is it broken???

I want to see what Buttachunk did with his MXL 990 but it's not there...  It's like the basis of this thread is missing. :?
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=27722

Keith
[/quote]

is it missing or off limits? 

misterbill said:
The $29 special at Musician’s Friend is the "Studio series", which raises the  question "how are they different inside?"  Has anyone compared the two?.

I know this is old, but does anyone know what the verdict was on this? I got excited about grabbing one of these after seeing all the mod details, then realized it was mostly for an older model. Black Lion was very helpful, but said it (their mod) was pretty old info and they weren't up on the guts of the newer "VU equipped" version.

Oddly, the old one runs about twenty bucks more on eBay than you can get the current one for new. I'm mainly wondering if the current version is enhanced in any way which might make it a better choice, even if a bunch of the old mods are no longer applicable.

Thanks!

Not dense...

The original poster 'Buttachunk' asked to have all of his posts removed, and actually wanted all references to them expunged, after a couple of altercations with other board members... He did take a bit of flak, I have to say, but let's not get into that... -It was ugly times all round. (This was some years ago.)

Anyhow, it really wasn't feasible or reasonable to clean everything by hand, so the only automated 'tool' available to administrators was to delete his account, which deleted all of his posts but unfortunately still leaves the rest of the threads intact.

Since he left the board feeling unhappy with how he was treated (hopefully not by me/us) I suppose that he may be unwilling to share the info with the forum.. and that's if anyone is in contact with him off the forum.

-However...

My own thoughts are that if a mic like the MXL900 (for example) has a capsule which largely defines the sound at the get-go, you can spend all the money you like, but you're ALWAYS constrained by that limitation. -No amount of replacing ten-cent ceramic capacitors with fifty-dollar Solen poly's is going to ever 'repair' the sound.

Typically, there may be slight, incremental improvements, -go ahead... try some. -But it's almost certainly not worth driving yourself mad trying to recover the original info from this thread... I honestly never bought into the notion that anything was really 'transformed'. -I'm sure nothing was made worse, and I don't doubt that things may have been microscopically improved...  but not transformed. -Quoting Terry Pratchett: "the leopard never changes his shorts"

Keith

Back