SSL 9K Mic Pre

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whats a quick and easy way to add 48v phantom power to the 9k pre. Other than the jlm go between kit im in the USA...........

Thanks

Try this...

p96-f2.gif

full website http://sound.westhost.com/project96.htm

Casey
(Signalflow)

ok I have another ?
When I build the phantom power set up,do I have to build the power supply that he have on the website to power it. Or can I just connect it to the 9k board and use the 9k power supply.......Sorry Just a newbie never did this before.....

Thank u

hi k-los,
forgive me if i am misunderstanding you, but you are asking about adding a +48V supply for phantom power in your SSL 9K.  why don't you just use the +48V on the SSL 9K PSU?  ???
regards,
grant

Yes,

I was asking if I could use this schematic with the 48v power supply on the board
p96-f2.gif
Thx for u reply

I'd still use the zener diodes protect the 9K from transients when a mic is plugged in or removed with phantom power applied.

-Casey

I was just saying that because most of the commercial products only have the 6.8K for the phantom power.
And I'm talking about big , well know companies.

But more protection is always good

;)

i really gotta finish my pair. 

it's just requiring final internal hookup, but i need to replace the main PSU caps as well, as i botched fitting over-sized units and it just doesn't look safe!

Built the signal tracer that was suggested and immediately found that the first 2 2.2uf's were bad.  Working on getting some more so I can get the lid on these pre's and move on.

-Casey

ah, hence the BM post... You could get them as samples from TAW I"m pretty sure.

I've already got a line on a few from a brotha from anotha mutha here on the forum.  I did use TAW for a few of the pieces on my build they were defiantly on top of their game.

-Casey

Just finished my second 9k build.  I wanted something small and portable.
It sounds pretty good, but it's got a couple little issues:
The output seems to be hotter on the 2nd channel.  This isn't a big deal, but it's by a fair bit.  I don't really know where to start or if I should even bother with doing something about it.

The other problem is that when the +48 is switched on it sounds like faint rice crispies.  It just kinda crackles along.  This is a big deal as I plan on using this with mics that require phantom.  It's definitely in the unit - it does it when nothing is plugged in the input.  Any ideas?

Here's the picture.  Just use your imagination for the inside.
9k2.JPG

Back