SSL Compressor Parts Question For North American Suppliers

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Jakob...I think they are also D shaft types though. does anyone know if it is possible to install collet knobs on these?

I'm getting ready to order parts, and I'm just wondering if there are different component lists for different boards. I ordered boards from the "swedish chef"...is the component list on the diy site applicable?

Thanks much...!

kellyb

...I see that all of you use metalfilm resistors...what about carbonfilm resistors?...are they any good. My supplier say they are VERY stabile what ever they mean by that.... :?:

Morten

Thanks to all for the US lists...

Maybe helpful to add that the 1% metal film Rs from Mouser (Xicon) are bigger than 1%MF from Digikey (Phoenix). Just ordered both for another project, .6w, .5w, .4w, and .25w. You can check datasheets for exact sizes, it's significant for tight spots... .5w Phoenix as big as .25w Xicon etc.

I used a meter from mouser.

It was similar to the gyraf as far as look & feel.

But it was a little narrower.

It is also kind hard to cover up the markings that were already there.

Doug

[quote author="tubejay"]HairyAndy and I are still compiling a list of suitable parts, so it would be nice to find more meters to choose from.

I'm in the process of moving right now, and DIY has been packed up for a couple weeks. After that, I'm VERY close to finishing my comp. I've already got half the holes drilled in my case. All I have left to do is finish connecting the XLR's, the control board to the main PCB, and test it! After that Hairyandy and I will finalize our lists and he'll post them to the web for everyone. So, if anyone has any alternate parts, like the meter, which is expensive, that would be great info to have!!

Thanks! :guinness: :guinness:[/quote]

Just wondering if you guys ever finalized that suitable parts list for the SSL comp. I have the one posted earlier in this thread (Greg's), but it sounded like you guys where going to have a larger one with some different choices of parts. If you have a close but not completed version, feel free to e-mail it to me and I can finish it up to the best of my knowledge.

Thanks,
Dave
davidhun AT usc DOT edu

[quote author="drpat"] I'm not really interested in the Berenger or Edgewise meters. A Sifam AL29WF (from IMS) looks like a good alternative but I'm not sure if this would work "as is" with the Gssl since I can't find any specs on it.

This is the last (and most difficult) part that I need to source before I start ordering, so any help will be greatly appreciated![/quote]

If I'm not mistaken, that AL29WF is a VU meter, which deflects based on a voltage difference. The GSSL requires a FSD (deflects on current) meter, either 1mA or 100uA. So I'm thinking that AL29WF won't work.

Allthough the Sifam AL29VU is our favourite VU-meter, the AL29-series includes meters of all sorts of sensitivity and scales. Get one with 1mA DC FSD, and it'll work fine with the clone..

Jakob E.

[quote author="gyraf"]Allthough the Sifam AL29VU is our favourite VU-meter, the AL29-series includes meters of all sorts of sensitivity and scales. Get one with 1mA DC FSD, and it'll work fine with the clone..

Jakob E.[/quote]

Just a small correction, not the AL29W has diferent sensitivity and scales. The AL29 is an audio level meter, that is where the AL come from.
The general series would be 29W and that contains linear miliampermeters and also audio level meters.
The AL29W is part of the 29W series.

chrissugar

Latest posts

Back