the Poor Man 660 support thread

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Done !

I´m very happy with this.

Attack on 1st pos. is approx. 0,5msec, measured using some tone bursts with some silence in between. I changed the 0,22 for a 0,1 on pos 1.

Not in of itself a problem.  The heater traces were laid out with DC in mind; has anyone put AC on them to see?  Not a lot of gain here, so probably okay. 

emrr said:
Not in of itself a problem.  The heater traces were laid out with DC in mind; has anyone put AC on them to see?  Not a lot of gain here, so probably okay. 

Thanks that's what I figured. I still haven't decided which way to go so well see.

idylldon said:
Just wanted to add some time constant data.  I changed my values to 2.2uF/68K, 3.3uF/180K, 4.7uF/470K, and 10uF/no resistor and I'm really pleased with the result.  It's a whole 'nother beast with these values and I find it more usable on just about any source.  I was going to install the SCAB board, but, alas, I really don't have the room in my old PA head for another PCB.  Perhaps if I build another one I'll make that part of it from the start and plan accordingly.  In the meantime, the four selections I currently have will be more than adequate.

Thanks for all the discussion about the time constant network.  I learned a lot from reading it.  Thanks again to silent:arts and analag for such an amazing project.  It will get a lot of use in my studio.

Cheers,
--
Don

I told you man... hey... I don't get any credit for talking you into it?   :D

Silvas said:
I´ve read the entire thread a couple times just to absorb all i can about this very nice piece of hardware...but between the studio and my 2-year old daugther, i can´t remember everything. I was well aware of Kevin´s `problems with his 5687´s long before i started mounting and connecting everything on my PM. That´s why i took out half of the 5687´s in the first place, and voila !

The tubes, i don´t think they are bad tubes (i tested the 5 i have, and all work OK with only 1 tube installed) . My tubes are JAN phillips, but date codes from march 1987...i just think they don´t work as two pairs. Anyway, it´s done for now, and next week i´m putting in the sidechain proto board so i´ll report later ! I´m getting new tubes, but not now.

Thanks Gus, i´ve forgotten quite a lot of what´s written on this topic.

Wow... I haven't been back here for a while. I was talking to Don a few weeks back & he said someone had pulled the tubes like I did & it helped fix their unit... cool.
So I guess I'm not crazy & people are getting something out of my MONTHS (summer of hell) of shit I went thru with this thing.

I'm still using my unit with one tube pulled in the side-chain & use it a lot - Bass, Guitars, Vocals... you name it it's really cool now that I got a chance to step away from it for a while & put it to use. BTW, I also have added extra/faster time constants... without them it's just too slow & a "one trick pony"

Once again, THANK YOU to everyone who helped me out & stood by me... I never what to go thru that again but learned sooooo much.

[silent:arts] probably had nightmares about me & my build... sorry man. I really appreciate your help + Gus, Doug, Don, etc...

Hey guys, I'm finally getting around to building this thing.. have a mono channel + parts sitting on the shelf since the original PCB order  ::)

Got the PSU up and running, using 2x IRF 820 I think, all voltages spot on, no test under load yet because of the following problem:

Can't find sockets that fit the board!  What is everyone using? The holes on these boards are a bit small to fit the majority of "PC-mount" sockets on the web, and I don't want to cut up the legs to fit... Anyone have a link to something that will work? The ones I have look like this:
http://tubedepot.com/sk-9pinpcg.html

Thanks!

So long ago I don't remember but I did find some that fit just right... although the 2nd time I ordered some they wouldn't fit the holes - so I got out my Dremil & shaved the pins til they fit.

MAKE SURE THEY'RE CERAMIC SOCKETS!!!

The plastic will melt.

yeah it was ages ago... the sockets on the original BOM don't even come up on those websites, unless I'm doing something wrong.. Sucks a bit, but oh well. If no one has anything, I guess it's Mr Dremel to the rescue!

mitsos said:
yeah it was ages ago... the sockets on the original BOM don't even come up on those websites, unless I'm doing something wrong.. Sucks a bit, but oh well. If no one has anything, I guess it's Mr Dremel to the rescue!

Dremel is a solution but you'll have to be sure the contacts are OK on both sides of the PCB... I soldered some thin cutted components legs on my tube sockets and then soldered the assembly on the PCB without drilling anything. More simple and secure IMO (you'll have to check if the previous soldered points are still good...).

that's an idea.... Could use some 1N4007 leads, they are nice and thick, but I'd still be worried about swapping tubes later, if I had problematic ones. I guess yours are holding up? Have you had to swap tubes at all?

I guess I'm not the only one with this "issue".... But I have to think that the small holes were not an oversight, silet:arts has done tube boards before and no one has ever said anything about socket holes.... makes me think we got the "wrong" sockets.... 

Silent:arts, are there sockets that fit these boards without modification? I haven't read much about people modifying the sockets in the thread (except one person who cut them IIRC) so this was a bit of a surprise to me.

Thanks lolo and kevin!

mitsos said:
Silent:arts, are there sockets that fit these boards without modification?
sure - they are called "miniature 9pin tube sockets" and look like this:

YQAFwcENwjAMBVAzC-fGvaQHloms1iqpcIjyXYVJOkAH484A3Djw3u_7uR500Pm-kO3IszxSLvC2mxYH3d3rjbn3Hqo0x6Cv2hQI89M4m6wKzq6W4FIWaQuPMQ5xnBLCVleiPw**

however, don't ask me for an US based source, and they really should be ceramic and not plastic.
since a lot of these sockets have been bought for this projects someone should be able to provide a US part number and supplier ...

I think the sockets I have look a little bit larger.. At least the ceramic part (I think they are ceramic anyway, I did the poorman's soldering iron test...). The pin's though look the same, but they don't fit... weird.  Do you know if there is something at banzai that might fit perhaps? I'm going to place an order there next few days...

maybe this:(?)
http://www.banzaimusic.com/Tube-Socket-PC-Noval-Gold-cont..html

thanks!

yeah, I've heard about the plastic ones  :eek:

I was thinking of crimping them somehow, but I already destroyed one leg of one socket, so I'm giving up on manual modification!

I think I found a ceramic one at tubesandmore.... Says it's 17.8mm diameter, does that sound about right? If so, I'm gonna go for it... It's gonna take ages to get it, but I've already waited this long...

cheers!

ahh I screwed up and missed ordering the 1n4764 diode for the power supply is their a good sub or mabye someone has one they can post to me.It's the only part missing  ??? :mad: ugh

Back