GroupdDIY 511 Racks: round 5.5 available

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Svart said:
With a switcher it's imperative that grounding be thoroughly thought out and tested.  Switchers don't inherently cause ground hash but poorly grounded/designed SMPS WILL cause it!

Good advice. By the way, pity commercial SMPSes can't (easily) be synchronized, that would kill another noise path.

[silent:arts] said:
could it be you sometimes forget the DIY aspect? ;D

I have no idea what you're talking about.

JD 'déformation professionnelle, moi?' B.
[seriously though, as attractive as it is for DIY to have no hard limit other than the point where the traces start to melt, I believe it's especially valuable to the not-so-experienced DIYer to have some rough guidelines, if only so you know when you're (deliberately) breaking them]

some of the higher end ones I've seen will have ganging ports for master/slave operation.  These are usually the *expensive* models though.  You could probably hack a switcher since some of the PWM ICs have oscillator inputs which could be slaved.  Just depends on the chip being used.  Probably a lot more work than anyone would want to do though.

The other problem with off the shelf switchers is that their -V outputs are usually underpowered compared to their +V counterparts in non-isolated units.  In isolated units you could possibly get a higher output unit, like 30v and then figure out a way to get a pseudo-ground at half rail.  This is done with some of the small, canned TDK switchers for single modules.

That reminds me, sometimes I've seen units with isolated grounds where someone has connected both sides to the same plane and created strange loops between the HV side and the output. 

Hi All

I spoke with Purple Audio and they are going to a switcher in their rack and it will be spec'd at 130ma per rail. Compressors seem to be the only single width modules that draw close to the this rating. If you need more current for tubes and such go double wide.

JamesW

JamesW said:
I spoke with Purple Audio and they are going to a switcher in their rack and it will be spec'd at 130ma per rail. Compressors seem to be the only single width modules that draw close to the this rating. If you need more current for tubes and such go double wide.

130mA is the API 500-series VPR Alliance spec. What we're concerned with here is the spec for the new GDIY 51x standard. Strictly speaking the two are not related in any way. Practically of course it would be very useful if the current per 51x slot were at least high enough to support all 500-series VPR Alliance compliant modules.

In a 500-series rack you are correct that anything that draws more than 4.4W must occupy more than one slot to stay within the spec. As it stands no such limit exists for 51x-required modules.

JDB.
[if nothing else, the melting point of the solder being used poses a practical limit. This is one area where RoHS works to our advantage]

Hi All

The 51x rack can always make use of the 24v rails for more current.

JamesW

sahib said:
Call for the UK and the rest of the world guys whom are in the first 100 list.

Could you please contact me at [email protected] as I started shipping?

Mega thanks.

inclusive of USA folks?  how do you know what your number is... watching the thread but not that close....

Unfortunately not the USA and Canada folks as they are handled by Jeff and we are rectifying the lost shipment for them.

If you are in the first 100 list, if you are not in US and if your currency is not Euro then you are my man.

It does not make any difference what number you are in the list, as long as you are in it.

Hey guys!

Didn't realize this project was a 'GO' till just now... been reading through the thread trying to figure out where it's at.

Anyone got a status update as far as: Is the first 100 list taken care of? Is there still a wait? Is there another list that i can be put on? ETA?

Any updates would be much appreciated. I would love to get in on this one :)

Great work, thanks a TON to everyone who put the work into this.

Read the last two posts before yours. And if you are in the list for the first 100 then contact me.

Right right. I saw that, but i figured that since i am NOT on the first 100 list, that didn't apply to me. So i was just wondering if it is possible if i can get in on this somehow and how i do that :)

Also, i am in the US if it makes a difference.

everyone will get one, sooner or later.
just wait until Jeff from www.classicapi.com has them in stock.

for sure he will first look for the people on the first 100 list,
but the target is to have them in stock to anybody.

I received mine today. I haven't assembled the case yet, but it looks very good. Massive back pane PCB, sturdy panels, nice paint job...

Thanks for all the hard work guys.

Cheers!

Hurraaaaaaa.

Jeff's shipment has been found and will be with him today.

Here is my bench.

bench.JPG

Latest posts

Back