Should I?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
this is great - can't wait rowan! i've been dreaming of vari mu projects for a while now, and i think yours sounds better than anything i could pull off on my own!

i'm definitely down for a board or two.

thanks for sharing :thumb:

analag,
During the past years I had preserved a pair of HS-52s for a Fairchild project(I know wishful thinking :sad: ).Could I use them in this project? The other question:I understand that we wouldnt be having the m/S section in this comp..is there anyway we could add it later on.
Also I was reading that thread where you had built the Poorman's Fairchild & you had wound a lot of trandformers on your own.Are we planning to source these from Edcor?Sorry I am really excited

Rowan,
I was so lucky to built one of the prototypes of your Opto Compressor with Volkers excellent pcb. The most exciting thing was not only the building process and the marvelous sound of your masterpiece, it was the fact, that this project came to life almost two years ago and that I had the chance to follow this development from your first posting to the final piece of gear. It gave me a feeling of contentment not just to build a clone of a famous compressor but to built a unique piece of gear, that never existed before. Thanks a lot, Rowan. Thanks Volker and Darius.

A poor man´s Fairchild? Yes, you should :!: :!: :!: :!: :thumb:
regards
Bernd

[quote author="codered"]analag,
During the past years I had preserved a pair of HS-52s for a Fairchild project(I know wishful thinking :sad: ).Could I use them in this project?[/quote]
No, I would save them for a true 670 clone.

[quote author="codered"] The other question:I understand that we wouldnt be having the m/S section in this comp..is there anyway we could add it later on.[/quote]
This is a 660 variation which is mono, not a 670 which is stereo.

[quote author="codered"] Also I was reading that thread where you had built the Poorman's Fairchild & you had wound a lot of trandformers on your own.Are we planning to source these from Edcor?Sorry I am really excited[/quote]
I made a 660 style that used Edcors only and a 670 type that used Edcors for input to the signal amps and control amps but custom wound outputs on C-Cores for symmetrical resistance and impedance balance seen by the output tubes. I have no intention of ever winding those things again, once was enough.

What bothers me about the Poor Man's 660 is how those who build it will power it up since it uses (4) transformers (unshielded) in the signal path and requires 250V @ 80mA, 15V @20mA and 6.3V @3A. I ended up winding a toroid to provide all the required voltages in one package while emitting low radiation. There are ways around this problem no doubt like a separate PSU. maybe one strong enough to power two units. It also uses two discrete regulators and a three terminal regulator which powers the sidechain bias and my anti-thump thingy. I had a lot of fun building it and so should anyone who decide try it.

analag

I think Edcor could be pursuaded to make a few power transformers for a groupbuy when things get rolling.
And we are working on the PCB's.

analag

PM660-080405.gif

Here is a preview of the layout.

analag

"but I'm sure I'll go broke building it."
:thumb:
thanks rowan, kubi,silent
i havent started my doac but i'm in for this also.
this as well as the doac is most generous of all of you.
can we hear some sound samples from your studio rowan?

Latest posts

Back