Should I?

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[quote author="tommypiper"]How about tube rectification?[/quote]

That is one area where tubes simply don't shine...the only thing I like about it is the slow turn on.
With a tube rectifier you're using up more space, you're generating more heat and you need another heater supply to fire it up. It's just too much, man.

analag

yes but a tube rectifier does impact on sound as it suffers from sag, well it does anyway in tube guitar amps, maybe this is a characteristic you might want in this F'child Lite device.

Michael

Sag in power amps; not in preamp/line level stuff. You'd do a tube regulated circuit in a limiter in the first place, if you wanted to go there. There are plenty of people who prefer the sound, but you wouldn't do it in anything called 'the poor man's xxxxx'.

Yes, I suppose tube rectification would not be appropriate with anything called poor man's... since it would cost more to build.

R, you have a huge toroid in your original 660. (I saw your pics.) Did you roll that one? And.. Just curious, are we getting the same PSU that you built? And the same sidechain amp?

thanks thanks thanks

[quote author="tommypiper"] R, you have a huge toroid in your original 660. (I saw your pics.) Did you roll that one? And.. Just curious, are we getting the same PSU that you built? And the same sidechain amp?[/quote]

Obviously I can't give you my power transformer because that's a one off, but everything else is the same. No reason to change it.

analag

[quote author="Kid Squid"]What's the specs , Rowan ?
I'll ask my mate for a price , maybe offer them as a group buy ?

Steve :thumb:[/quote]

250V @ 80mA, 15V @20mA and 6.3V @3A.

Great!! please count me in!

Also, is there any provision for stereo link (is you use 2, of course...)? :thumb:

Thanks analag!

Synthi

I can't wait to get one of those although my D-AOC isn't finished yet.
Can't get enough of those nice glow-in-the-dark-tube-things.

Most of you will want a stereo unit, but how do you fit (8) Edcors XSM's plus a power transformer in a commercial rack enclosure. You might have to go custom to make it work.

analag

ive done some huge enclosures before (8ru) by mounting 2 4u cases on top of each other and then getting an 8u pannel made for the front and mounting both cases to that, but i think we can make it work in a 4u?? if we do external psu?,

since I'm always running out of Rack Space I will give 3U including PSU a try :green:
will let you know how this works ...
for sure it will be the heaviest piece of gear I ever made :green:

[quote author="[silent:arts]"]since I'm always running out of Rack Space I will give 3U including PSU a try :green:
for sure it will be the heaviest piece of gear I ever made :green:[/quote]

NO :!: NO :!: NO :!: I've got even less space - do it in 1U or 2U if you must :green: :thumb:

[quote author="[silent:arts]"]since I'm always running out of Rack Space I will give 3U including PSU a try :green:
for sure it will be the heaviest piece of gear I ever made :green:[/quote]

My heaviest piece was the (30) tube 670 type with (4) custom wound output transformers and of course custom power with (7) secondaries.
The tube regulator had it's own filament transformer too which added to the already significant weight.
FinalB.JPG

Remember this one guys?
For those of you who count only twenty nine tubes....the error amplifier tube is on the inside.

analag

Back