Cheap lolly pop & ribbon mics.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just checked email, and we've now got the first snag ( of course). They can't take a credit card from outside Europe, so have only given bank transfer as an option.

We'll see if they'll open a paypal account so I can transfer that way ( as bank transfer in the US is a pain in the but, and normally has an associated cost).

I'll keep ya posted as to the progress.

Regards

ju

@ gary o:

I A/B'd the tbone ribbon to my Neumann M269c on acoustic guitar.
There actually was a thread over at www.gearslutz.com, but the audio files aren't online anymore as I had to free some webspace.

Obviously, the two mics sounded completely different.
What I can say though is that the tbone evened out some transients, but in quite a nice way. You could clearly discern this natural "peak limiting" by looking at the waveforms in a sample editor.
The mid range resolution of the tbone turned out to be astonishingly good.

So depending on the context of the arrangement, this cheapo ribbon will definitely be chosen over the M269c - that wasn't the case with my Oktava ML52 (usually stuck in front of guitar cabs).

There ya go - my 2 cents.

Slightly off topic:

I have one LL2911 ribbon mic xformer lying around, initially bought to upgrade my Oktava ML52 ("tapeop-style").
Now I'm not sure if I shouldn't just ditch the Oktava and see if I can't get the tbone to sound even better.

Does anyone if this LL2911 will fit into the tbone?

Cheers.

Michael

[quote author="Peter Simonsen"]I got 2 of them RB500 ribbon mics on the way..Looking forward to be hearing them together with my AEA R-84 Ribbons.[/quote]

I just did this today..a quick first impression...I´m really impressed by the cheap ribbon mics...While the R-84´s sounds much more "true" to the source..acc guitar,and bariton male voice..the RB500´s sounds more "round".."mellow"..has more lows and not the "airy topend" and distinct midrange of the R-84`s

The RB500 are absulutely quite good mics as they are..imho..one should be able to use these mics on varius sources. I think I would love them on many sources..cant wait to try them out on drums, double bass, violins..harsh female voices with a lot of midtrange "honk" ...etc

Very good mics I´m in for 2 more ;-)

Kind regards

Peter

I wanna buy one of those ribbon mics. I've been wanting a ribbon for a while, but I just can't justify spending "name brand" money.

If anyone here in the States actually succeeds in getting one of these T.bone ribbons, please let us know!

[quote="mig27Slightly off topic:

I have one LL2911 ribbon mic xformer lying around, initially bought to upgrade my Oktava ML52 ("tapeop-style").
Now I'm not sure if I shouldn't just ditch the Oktava and see if I can't get the tbone to sound even better.
Michael[/quote]

If you do I´d be interested in knowing what you think of this mod. ??? I like the RB500 as they are for now..but if something interesting would come of this LL x-former mod..I´d be very much intersted to hear about it..*S'

Kind regards

Peter

For those of you in the states, I'm looking into a quantity order of these. I'm not ready to start counting numbers, but I'll keep you posted on progress.

Regards

ju

Peter, I don't know how big your transformer is, but there is quite some room inside the t.bone.

got my interest.... A cheap ribbon is always a good thing... and I have a 2911 lying around waiting for a home. Wonder what the final price will be to get them over here?

[quote author="fum"]For those of you in the states, I'm looking into a quantity order of these. I'm not ready to start counting numbers, but I'll keep you posted on progress. this mic appears to be similar to the Nady ribbon microphone.
[/quote]

Ju, any notion of what kind of cost/per in an OEM order? Given what the T-Bone one retails for and assuming lower, yeah, there will be some takers.

Bear

Mig thanks for your two cents money well spent, sounds like goods news then & considering the price too, ive only got a couple of small ribbons at the mo, Beyer M260,M500 & an old Reslo but I like em all, M260 is my fav, I fancy a larger ribbon its for vocals, ive heard lots about the kinda compression charactoristic aparently the ribbon bends under sound pressure to cause this kind of compression, dont know if thats so? good for horns im told.

Cheers Gary O.

I'll hopefully talk with them some later tonight (it's like midnight there now), about the time I'm sittin down in the studio is when they are startin their day =).

Again, I know nothing now, will follow up when I know more.

ju

[quote author="fum"]For those of you in the states, I'm looking into a quantity order of these. I'm not ready to start counting numbers, but I'll keep you posted on progress. this mic appears to be similar to the Nady ribbon microphone.

Regards

ju[/quote]

They're exactly the same...
Look at the Nady TCM 1050 is exactly like the T.Bone SCT700...
The ribbon too... and T.Bone has a Elvis like mike too...

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeno

The RB500 looks like the Nady ribbon to me, only the grill is a slightly different shape, the rest looks identical. I have the Nady, it's great and I'm sure these are the same mics.

I received an email from the chinese factory, they call it an HRM-2, and had them at around $67.50 US. Not sure if you could purchase one off, but it sounded like it.

This page shows a lot of the other mics they do plus mic diaphrams.

http://www.alctron-audio.com/mic/

The ribbon is not shown on this page for some reason, the guy sent me a excel sheet all about the ribbon, I can email to anyone, it's only 1.19M.

Larry

If one of you guys in the states does some kind of bulk purchase from Thoman then you should ask if they can supply you "T1" status.That is to say from bonded stock which is NOT EC duty paid (T2). The difference is not great maybe 5-8 %.
My company wholesales satellite TV equipment and we deal with importation all the time, if I can help then I will ,I would like to give something back to the forum.
Transport to the states for individual orders would be expensive.
Also bear in mind that the Thoman prices include VAT at 17.5% which if they export from Germany should be deductable, so at T1 and no VAT the ribbon should be about 100 euros or 132 dollars.
Steve

Latest posts

Back