Cheap lolly pop & ribbon mics.

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well no joy from here. I hate dealing with time zone differences. It probably won't be till sometime next week before I get any info on this.

I don't know what it is that has made me so impatient. I feel like things should be able to be wrapped up in a matter of minutes =), and it always turns into days and days.

ju

no no, you are quite right.. i hate waiting too.. the internet has spoiled me.. i can order immediately!!... oh wait, ya have to wait to get the stuff in the post. there are no good stores around here for electronics.. :evil:

I think that's pretty much the case everywhere.

I'm not all that old, but I can remember when if we needed a tube, a resistor, a transistor or whatever, we could hop in the car and go to Allied, Lafayette, Greylock (a local chain), etc. They're all gone now.

As long as I'm temporarily in Norway I ought to find a big music store and see if they've got these mics. Or anything else interesting... like some of the little condensor mic capsules from www.elfa.se

OK,

I'm in the home stretch on closing this deal, but want to clarify some things so that everything is on the level.

I've negotiated an initial order for the ribbon microphones. The company is not into small orders, so that means a fairly large cash outlay on my part to make this happen.

My intention is twofold here.

1. I feel I've been given a lot by the members of the lab, and have learned a ton from the group members. To that effect, I'm setting aside a portion of this order to be offerred to the lab at the lowest price I can ( factoring in shipping charges, import taxes, and business taxes for sale of goods(yes I'm registered as a business in my state, so have to report things as such)). I'm hoping this will put things in the $100-120 range (don't have an exact figure, as this will be the first time I've dealt with overseas shipping and US customs). These will be non-branded. These will go up in the Black Market when available ( shipping time is roughly 25 days from close of order).

2. If this goes well, my intention is to sell these microphones for profit, as I don't see many lower priced ribbon microphones on the market in the US. These would be branded microphones, and my intention is to work with the manufacturer to make these as good as I can.

I wanted to state this here, because the respect of the group is of value to me, and hope that the group would be supportive of this.

My business intentions are to build a company that is friendly to the DIY community, not to profiteer from it. It's in it's infancy, so hopefully I'm getting it off on the right foot.

Regards

ju

well stated and very appreciated. I have no problem with this as even 120$ for a ribbon mic is much much cheaper than even the next cheapest mic.

you have my blessing and i'm still in for at least 2, maybe more. :thumb:

[quote author="JCMaudio"]you rock fum! No labels is how I like it.... takes me forever to get those damn m*xl labels off... keep us posted![/quote]

Oh, and I just use four aught(0000) steel wool. Comes right off.

ju

Just got one from Thoman. Sounds nice, has that "mellow" that only seems to come from ribbons but with more highs that others. Well worth the money. Has the usual low output thing, maybe a phantom powered internal pre is possible, ribbons have very low self noise. I bet it wont be long before we have tranny swaps etc. I like it, so now I am going to take it apart.
Steve

Thnks Fum, I'll try that... my prob is getting the labels off and leaving the finish on...

Great to hear microx! I can't wait to get a pair.

[quote author="JCMaudio"]Thnks Fum, I'll try that... my prob is getting the labels off and leaving the finish on...

[/quote]

The four aught steel wool does exactly that. Doesn't even leave a scratch =)

The order is finalized. Should be here in roughly a month.

ju

[quote author="buttachunk"]
i ordered some stocked items from Mouser on Tuesday,, should be arriving next Monday (!!!) They have alot of great stuff that Digikey doesn't stock,,, but I'm getting tired of waiting 3-5 extra days for shipping :?[/quote]

pssst, secret. Order USPS priority, that's what I always do. It's like a cheap 2nd day air :) I order on a monday, it comes on wednesday. Can't beat that!

Back