Live Tour with DIY

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks awesome mate!
igrecji said:
A few measurment for symetrical distorsion on EQN Opamp....

sym-disto-opamp.jpg
It that how it is NOT meant to look, then you adjust the trimmer till you get a smooth curve for calibrating the EQN?

Also when you refer to 25db less noise for the NV73 without DC-DC converter. Is 25db of noise, a standard/vintage 1073 pre-amp or clone will produce or is the NV73 just naturally noisier than a standard/vintage 1073 or 1073 clone?

Thanks

canidoit said:
Also when you refer to 25db less noise for the NV73 without DC-DC converter. Is 25db of noise, a standard/vintage 1073 pre-amp or clone will produce or is the NV73 just naturally noisier than a standard/vintage 1073 or 1073 clone?

Thanks

he's saying that the noise floor when running the NV73 directly from 24V rail is 25dB quieter than running the NV73 on the 16V rail, since you introduce the DC-DC converter to achieve the 24V operating spec.  some extra noise is to be expected, but that's quite a bit.  i suppose it's all relative to how quiet we're talking though, being logarithmic and all that.

to the op, this is impressive indeed!  good to hear that all the work didn't put you off diy forever!

Top work!! Formidable DIYer!

The noise is a strange one.  Up against a couple of originals, the NV73 (with DC-DC converter) was a couple of dB quieter.  It measured around the 126dB EIN as I remember.  (100ohms termination) So 25dB quieter than that would be much below theoretical minimum. 

Not sure if you received my email so excuse the repetition.. but I'd be interesteed to know what termination you had on the inputs, and if the noise was bandwidth at 20Hz - 20kHz..

If for whatever reason, environment or powersupply is giving worse results than normal.. a couple of things one could try.  Shorting the DC-DC case to -Vout(0V)  or adding the extra cap mentioned in the NV73 thread on the output transformer pin (+24V).

Anyway.. glad you got it all done.. Have fun using it all now!!

amazing work Yves !!
you finally did it on time !
chapeau bas ,
hope you will enjoy this amazing kit
see you soon ,
Francois

Thanks for theses nice word...

David/Grantlack, we have make theses test with a 150 ohm input load, with no signal at the input, and no filter in the A2 Neutrik. You're right to say that it's corresponding to an average of 4 dB less noise floor if we use the bandwith 20Hz/20Khz.

Anyway, i don't say that the DC/DC is a bad thing for the DIYer, and it's the only solution for converting +/-16V to 24V. I've just seen that more i mount modules in a rack, more i got noise due to the proximity of all the DC/DC, and the result is a 100hz noise with 11 module in a rack who can cross the audio path... So, it's a nice solution when people have to use an API rack, but with the 51x rack, it's much better to use directly the 24V power rail....  concerning my build,It's absolutly my fault and i assume!!!

A lot of people have seen theses racks in Dispatch, and say to me: "you'r crazy to go on the road with DIY machines". So, next week, to answer to the septic people concerning the quality of the DIY, i'll put some pictures of the inside of a LTD1 Chandler that i've bought 5 years ago, and that i've used on the road & in studio, compare to the inside of the NV73 or EQN modules; That's just amazing! The LTD1 look like Sh****t compare to the DIY. And the high quality components used in the DIY is much better than those used in the Chandler. I've to change ALL the midrange frequency switch in the Chandler, iv'e to stick all the filtering caps, etc etc...

We are just working with Igor on power supply for theses racks, with no less than 2,5 amps/rails (exept the 48V of course). It's absolutly necessary to have more power than the modules needs to be absolutly safe...

David, i've notice that the setup for symetrical distorsion on the output is moving a lot during the time the  3055 reach the fonctioning temperature, and i fell it's good to wait for it before to turn the trim, because the sound is a little different....

I can't forget Igor, who have make a fantastic work on his 51/76 modules andthe first audio test we have making are fantastic.

I'll put some audio samples thrue my site..

Sorry for have been too long with a bad english,

Regards,

Yves Jaget

canidoit said:
Looks awesome mate!
igrecji said:
A few measurment for symetrical distorsion on EQN Opamp....

sym-disto-opamp.jpg
It that how it is NOT meant to look, then you adjust the trimmer till you get a smooth curve for calibrating the EQN?

Hi Canidoit, it look like it has to be when you adjust the distorsion with the feedback trim. You have to start square same time on top/bot of the sin wave...

Thanks

A lot of people have seen theses racks in Dispatch, and say to me: "you'r crazy to go on the road with DIY machines". So, next week, to answer to the septic people concerning the quality of the DIY, i'll put some pictures of the inside of a LTD1 Chandler that i've bought 5 years ago, and that i've used on the road & in studio, compare to the inside of the NV73 or EQN modules; That's just amazing! The LTD1 look like Sh****t compare to the DIY. And the high quality components used in the DIY is much better than those used in the Chandler. I've to change ALL the midrange frequency switch in the Chandler, iv'e to stick all the filtering caps, etc etc...

haha, well risky business indeed, but no guts no glory  ;D, anyway nice Job Mr Yves, with all this i have to go to one of the shows, i see that you will be at Miles Davies Hall in Montreux, seems like a nice place to see and HEAR that.

zayance said:
haha, well risky business indeed, but no guts no glory  ;D, anyway nice Job Mr Yves, with all this i have to go to one of the shows, i see that you will be at Miles Davies Hall in Montreux, seems like a nice place to see and HEAR that.

Welcome Zayance, you'll have a first class seat at the desk with coffee/whisky/champagne and all what is necessary for listening a show in the best condition!!!

Welcome Zayance, you'll have a first class seat at the desk with coffee/whisky/champagne and all what is necessary for listening a show in the best condition!!!

Now if i don't go, then i'm Mr Stupid  :D, See you there  ;)

igrecji, thanks for the reply.

Let me get this straight cause I need to put these calibration instructions on my journey thread.

I put my oscilloscope on Square wave, then I connect my EQN to the oscilloscope (where?) and adjust the distortion trim knob of my EQN till I make my square wave on my oscilloscope look like that funny sine wave with a flat top?

re: NV73, did you notice it made above average noise on it's own or with other modules in the lunchbox besides other NV73 modules? Is this noise only related to putting it next to modules with DC-DC converters or modules in general?

Thanks  :)

Hi Canidoit,

So, i do that this way, may be Peter or David can confirm that:

I load the output (150 ohm), for the EQN, i put EQ  switch in, all frequency selector off, and i put my scope on pin 2 & 3 (Hot/Cold or directly on the secondary of the output trafo) and i send a 1Khz sin wave at 20dB ore more until the first square appear on the sinus, after that i turn the feedback trim until i got  top/bot square equal on the sin wav. Easy on the NV73 because of the gain structure, but the EQN need a high level low distorsion gen to do that, because of the line gain structure, you need to send 20dB before to see the first square...
I use the Neutrik A2 who can deliver 32dB,  because i'm at Dispatch and they got Three A2 so it's easy to say  for me....

I could have bet you would have to solder these in the hotel room between two concert...
Je sent que la voix de Zazie va prendre une grosse dose d'electron... ;D
Beautifull work!
Nobru

Yves,
I was looking at your setup, and was wondering why you choose the Venue ?
is that because you have effects to use on it ? ( As I didn't see any reverb or multi FX in your setup )
I worked many times on Digico desks and they are great to use ! ( or even the new Midas digital desk )

so why the venue ?

Hi Madreza,

So why the Venue... Why using so good analog gears to finish in a Venue...

First of all, for thoses who know me, i'm a ProTools Power User, and for me, the power of DIGI is to have so many third part for designing high end plugins, especially in TDM version witch is the digital bus in a Venue. I hate the U.I. of this console, but i need the plugins to finished the work i do in analog. So, when you compare the offer on the digital desk market in live, once you remove all the bad mic pre of theses consoles, all the converters, you finally have a digital engine with some different U.I., but the work in each of them is the same, exepting the plugins.

So, the way i use the DIGI is : No mic pre, no converter from DIGI, i use my own mic analog mic pre as you can see, an i've my own SSL ALPHA LINK converter, coupling with SSL MADI-X-8, and SSL ALPHA LINK. It's sounding much better than any converter used in DIGIDESIGN/DIGICO/YAMAHA/ or anything else exept perhaps the VI6 from Souncraft or STUDER because it's coming from STUDER technologie....
If i had really the choice of my favorite desk, i will say that i'm going on tour with a DUALITY SSL, because of the versatility of this desk, and the fact you can drive one layer in full analog, and one layer with ProTools for example... But hard to make them a standard in a P.A. company!!!

In fact, i use the Venue only for snapshot, with a lot of Plugs, and i've also 2 x M6000 TC as reverb in my rack.

Y J

Back