Live Tour with DIY

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh my!

I see tens of thousands of dollars worth of studio equipment, including outboard tube gear, in non-shock mounted racks. And you're going to tour with this?  :eek:  I worry for you!

Doesn't gas cost more over there than here in the US? And you're hauling all this redundant outboard gear... (Redundant WRT the functionality of the desk; I understand there is a sonic difference.)

Don't take all this the wrong way, I just know of many seasoned live sound vets that would do things much differently.....  If it works, more power to you I suppose!

Hey SoundFancier,

All the rack you can see on theses pict are just the base 19" metal rack, wich are all enclosed in shocked mouted flight-cases. Theses Tubes gears like the Phoenix Vulture Comp have made already 3 tour with NO PROB!! This equipment is 6 years old, and is looking like brand new. Don't let me think that French trucker drive better than U.S trucker!!!!

I'd be more worried about forklifts and stagehands on your daily journey to FOH... Would you rock this rig for an outdoor festival? O2? Aside from the set up, who wouldn't want to drive this?

You've got balls, Monsieur.

igrecji said:
Hey SoundFancier,

All the rack you can see on theses pict are just the base 19" metal rack, wich are all enclosed in shocked mouted flight-cases. Theses Tubes gears like the Phoenix Vulture Comp have made already 3 tour with NO PROB!! This equipment is 6 years old, and is looking like brand new. Don't let me think that French trucker drive better than U.S trucker!!!!

That is impressive. The typical attitude here in the US is towards the smaller truck pack, never seen anything like you've got going in a long time!

Hi guys !

Yves is known for his "out of the box" thinking and is one of the top french FOH guys. That his new "project" is again half crazy, half insane is great !!! That's certainly far from the american pragmatism but that's what makes it interesting and proof that most of the DIY projects here are great sounding, professionnal and "road ready".

What it teaches us also is that audio gear companies could certainly better the design and overall quality of the gear they're quickly designing and selling while perhaps spending less time on marketing and fancy ads. Take a Yamaha digital desk (M7CL for example...) and try to calibrate the faders for a precise use in a stage monitoring setup: impossible, take a PM5D and try to use the preamps softly (up to -12db gain...), you'll end up with an unusable hummy sound. Yet those desks are widely used...

Let's build stuff that lasts and sounds great ! Because it's possible and affordable !!!

Bonne chance Yves !

Sorry to revive this thread, but man I love that you did this.  Can you tell us any more stories about the tour and the gear? 

I'm going to try and do this with our venue profile at my church.  The hardest part is making believers out of people that don't understand the advantage of the analog gear.  It's hard to justify to people why you need an analog snake again when you have the digital from the venue.  I'm trying to reconnect ours to do this and my boss wants me to sell the analog snake!!

I'm really sorry not to be here when you'll come in Marseille... I should have been there as the PA tech but I must be somewhere else...
It's good to see DIY on tour with a really famous engineer ! I hope I will find some time to come and talk with you.

Hi Everybody,

5 shows with this equipment, and NO REGRETS.. It's so amazing to listen something good happen through the digital lines!!
The NV 73 sounded absolutly great, and the EQN fantastic. All the Igor 1176/500 comp are working well, and i've to say that i abuse of the SLAM switchs!!! I use it on Zazie vocal, and guys, that's doing a great job!!! I've using 6 x 1176 assembly directly by Igor with his original ALBATROS circuit and a LUNDHAL trafo, and i've build 4 by myself, with a Sowter line input transfo, and a Ed Anderson transfo for the output. I've to say that they sounded really different, and that the full transfo option sounded a little bit more "dirty"
If you see any interest, i'll give you some sample of  separated tracks crossing the DIY modules... (Kick in, Kick out, snare top, sn bot etc etc...)
We have finally building new power supply for 51X racks with switching psu modules, because 11 empty slot needs a lot of current!!

Thankx to all,

Reagrds,
Yves J

Go Yves Go !!!!!

Good luck again, let us know about all the issues you encounter, with 51X Psu or the one Igor designed for your tour, and the rest of the gear...

Bonne chance encore une fois, fais nous part des problèmes éventuels, soit avec l'alim 51X, ou l'alim qu'Igor a designée pour toi et tout le reste du matériel...

Regards, cordialement, Piotr.

really cool news yves !
are the EQN knobs user friendly ? ;-)
it's so good seeing DIY gear on tour with a major french artist !
nice to hear you love the NV73 and the EQN ,
and good to hear good feedbacks on Igor F76X
I'm now thinking about building a pair or a quad with different options.
i'm really in a hurry to see you in Angers in october
and listen to this kit !
this tour is like a DIY flagship  !
regards,
Francois

PS:why don't send a few pics to C******R ?

Hi Volker,

At this time, there's no concert programming in Berlin, but i've a lot of chance to go myself in Berlin this year (my wife is german!!!).

Hi Piotr, thank's a lot for your assistance!!! You'll be the French spirit defender!
At this time, i hope our new power supply will be ready for the Olympia in Paris in the next two days. But nothing wrong with the Igor design power supply. It's working very well. The only problem is that it's a 3U high rack unit, and it's heavy like an anvil!!! But Igor has doing a great job. I think that if i have some hudge regret on ALL the module, it's that there is no visual control of the good running of the modules. In fact, when you have 11 modules in a rack, you absolutly dont know if the power is turn ON or OFF. I think it'll be a nice feature to just add leds on the main functions like: EQ in/out, 48v on/off, and just the good condition of the power rail IN the module.

Still thinking that the DIY add a lot for the sound in my kit, even if i'm not sure that this tour is the good one to take full advantage about this because of the deal i've to make with the hudge power coming from the stage (14 Christian Heil wedges for only four musicians + Zazie+ 4 amps for Guitar & bass) in small venue. Hope to meet you soon Piotr,

François,
Yes it's really cool. And thank's again for your help!  Yes no doubt on the NV73 & EQN,
Hope to see you in Angers.
Regards,
Y J

Hi Everybody,

Just for give you some news from the Zazie Tour in France.

Everything is working perfectly, specially the DIY gears... NO PROBLEM AT ALL, just to redo two solders on two modules at the moment. Already 32 shows and still the same pleasure to cross theses Eqs, Mic pre & Comp!!!
Not so easy to install all theses heavy racks in small places, but we are actually in festival conditions and so during all the summer.

Some pictures, thankx to all.

Peter Lazaro's Rack | EQN 1084|

EQN_1084_FRONT_ALLRACK.jpg

EQN_1084_INSIDE.jpg

The DOLBY LAKE EQ/FILTERS FOR MY V-DOSC

LAKE_ALL_FOH.jpg

THE OLYMPIA F.O.H. SETUP

THE_FOH_OLYMPIA_SETUP.jpg

THE OLYMPIA F.O.H. SETUP

V_DOSC_ZAZIE.jpg

AGAIN, THE DIY RACK ENSEMBLE,

eqn-nv73-first.jpg

THE F.O.H. FISHEYES AT THE A.B. IN BRUSSELS

pano-regie-cirque-bruxelles-slide.png

Geil ;D ;D ;D

One question (since I can't remember selling 4 x 511 Racks to a single person in France):
where are they from?
(you can win a personalized blank panel for the PreAmp rack :))

[silent:arts] said:
One question (since I can't remember selling 4 x 511 Racks to a single person in France):
where are they from?

Theses racks come from Igor, as i've bought to him 10 x 1176/500, he propose to me his new racks!! I think he has just design it at the same time i've bought his comp... (sorry about that,!!) Yes i'm looking for blank panel!!!

Back