Live Tour with DIY

GroupDIY Audio Forum

Help Support GroupDIY Audio Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yves , Many thanks again for your kindness yesterday !
It was a pleasure meeting you .
and, Great Job ! it was sounding fantastic !  ;)

Tell me whenever you're OK for a beer or two  ;D

Hi M_____,
You're welcome, and that's the same for everybody on this forum!!!
I regret to haven't meet Zayance in Montreux, but as i told you, sometimes i forget the peopole i was suppose to call for coming at the Zazie show!!! So fo thoses  who want to come to see me on the show, don't forget to (re)call me one or two day before, i'm an old man with memory trouble....
we keep in touch,

Regards,

Y J

igrecji said:
Hi M_____,
You're welcome, and that's the same for everybody on this forum!!!
I regret to haven't meet Zayance in Montreux, but as i told you, sometimes i forget the peopole i was suppose to call for coming at the Zazie show!!! So fo thoses  who want to come to see me on the show, don't forget to (re)call me one or two day before, i'm an old man with memory trouble....
we keep in touch,

Regards,

Y J

Hello Mr Jaget, well i went to the show, at the beginning you weren't at the desk, and the sad thing is that i couldn't stay until the end wich was the only moment where we could have met, since i wasn't going to bother during the show, so i had to leave at the recall  :(, i had a job early early in the morning (5h) and had an hour drive back so.....
As i said on my PM i took the ticket a couple of month before soemthing else arises and blocks that day, well it didn't stop it in a way so...

The show was very nice, beefy sound, nice vocal... light shows were nice too, the Stravisky hall is a nice looking concert hall, but on most of the shows i've seen there, is that since Swiss has a dB law, when you stick to it it always makes the room sound too big there, normal since there is less direct sound, but your show was nice and i'm sure above the swiss laws, i always found it difficul to have a nice show under 95dB (swiss laws), ambiance beeing at 80 to 88dB or so,depends on the style of course, but i go for 100 most of the time and it's not agressive for any reason, again depends on who's in control....
Good shows and Good PA Ingineers always reminds me that it's a rare thing to have good techs on PA these days, i've seen great artist having their PA guys messing the whole show up, like piano playing, and you don't hear the piano etc... etc... terrible.
But i had a nice time at Zazi's concert, i'm not a big fan of the artist, i like a couple of tracks from her, but i'm a big fan of the shows now  ;D.

On another note one funny thing about Zazie was when she said one of their musician has "la molle du lac" and i knew afterwards from a friend of me that Zazie's mother lives in the France section of the Lac, about 10mn from where i'm at, and i said ahhhh i see now why she said that, it's a common phrase said from people leaving near the lac so....
Anyway Have a great time on the rest of the Tour! :)

Hi ALL,

Just to give you the last news from Zazie tour. We finally finish this tour after 110 shows since April 2011, on Friday Evening.
Does the DIY change something to me???
Yes, forever.
Does the DIY modules are still well functioning??
Absolutely right.
If i had to do it again, could i do it?
Not sure....!!!!

Seriously, i've NEVER used such a good kit in live situation. But Yes it has been hard to set up this HUGE kit every days, specially in small theatre. But it's much more a mistake from the Production staff who has sold this show like an acoustic show, and not like an electric show...
Concerning the DIY:

For the NV 73: It sounded exactly like the original one exepted the gain structure wich is going to 85dB in the original one, but who cares!!!!. ( i've got two original 1073 two years ago)
i had nothing to do inside the module since the end of my build to the end of the tour! The sound is like magic, as all Neve gear, because it's sounding smooth, a little bit dirty if you need, with a warmth lo-mid  and sweet hi end. If you want to rebuild a SM58 mic, just connect it to the NV73 and listen... For who's like The Neve sound (wich is one of the best to my ears), that's the start for a good audio chain. Thank's a lot to David for this great design.
I have to say that for my own use, i've removing the DC/DC converter for increase the S/N ratio, wich is normal when you use 16 pre, (11 in a rack). And I've notify at the end of the tour that on the vocal of Zazie, with 55dB input gain, i've some buzzy noise who disappear when i switch the 48V on and off....(may be bad capacitors  somewhere, i don't know but i will have a look on it when i will go back home)
For the EQN 1084 from Peter Lazaro:
No trouble at all. that's the best to have after a NV73. For the people who think they will be short with fixed frequency and only lo/hi shelf, it's may be true with another EQ, but not with this Neve EQ. It sounded huge on lo frequency, the midrange section is like a brush on a master painting, that's the result of the sound of inductors, even if the phase is not straight, sound is there!!! Thank's to Peter for this great design.
For the 1176/500:
I got two different model: 6 of them are the full IGOR design (Albatros output circuit), four of them are with Ed Anderson input trafo.
I've to say that my favorite is the Albatros one, because of his great headroom/slew rate. And for the rest, this compressor is absolutly fabulous, and i'm a power user of the SLAM mode, specially on vocal track!!! I like a lot the grayhill on all and i regret to haven't it on the input/output section, i've to ask Igor to design a special model!!! The benefit to cross this piece is unbelievable and for everything. The sound at 12:1 for Acoustic guit is fab, i use it on toms too and the same, you always find the right way to make it sound rich and gorgeous!!
The slam mode is amazing on a SM58, and it maintain the right level where you decide to.
Even if it's not exactly the same result than with a REV D 1176, this machine got a real signature and sounded like the Big Name in the audio world.
If you like, i will put a sample of the final FOH mix trough theses beautiful s  machines.
The only real trouble i had during this tour has been the 6176 U.A. !!!!!
Here is some pictures of the back of F.O.H., (you already know the front!!)
back_rack1.JPG

back_patch.JPG

profil_back_rack.JPG

igrecji said:
Seriously, i've NEVER used such a good kit in live situation. But Yes it has been hard to set up this HUGE kit every days, specially in small theatre. But it's much more a mistake from the Production staff who has sold this show like an acoustic show, and not like an electric show...
Ohh Yves ! come on ! I think you have at least one assistant for that.  ;)
On the other side, you could pay lot of beer to the roadies, for aaaall the trucks loading and unloading  because this is a HUGE.  ;D ;D

Thx a lot for your feedback.

You just finished persuade me to populate my GDIY511 with NV73 and EQN...

PS : Est-il possible d'avoir la fiche technique de la tournée ? Histoire de me faire mal et voir si ça rentre dans mon théâtre !!!

Merci

Hi Yves, I was there as a roadie when you took these pictures (at Le Bikini, Toulouse). We talked a bit of your DIY rig in the morning, I don't know if you remember me. As I didn't see you after the show (I was busy), I just want to say the sound was really good during the show.
And you talked me about the PSUs you use to power your racks but I can't remember what it was, I just remember it wasn't the 51X PSU people here are selling. Can you tell me what you use?
Julien

Hello dear friends,

Here is a small demo of one title directly recorded through the FOH desk. This is not a huge demo, i will put some separate tracks later for most details on the sound through the pre/eq/comp...

Title "DES RAILS" sample from the F.O.H. desk

Please stay indulgent on the result of the mix, it's a F.O.H. mix, and it's strictly depending of the live situation!!! (monitor sound, musician level on stage, venue ,  beer and other etc etc ....)

julien31 said:
Hi Yves, I was there as a roadie when you took these pictures (at Le Bikini, Toulouse). We talked a bit of your DIY rig in the morning, I don't know if you remember me. As I didn't see you after the show (I was busy), I just want to say the sound was really good during the show.
And you talked me about the PSUs you use to power your racks but I can't remember what it was, I just remember it wasn't the 51X PSU people here are selling. Can you tell me what you use?
Julien

Hello Julien,

Hope you're well since the BIKINI.

The power supply i use is the one Igor specially  did for me. So you have to ask him if you prefer to use this one. But i have built one PSU based on switch mode directly bought on DIGIKEY factory, and it works perfectly for that and is not so expensive.

On the other side, you could pay lot of beer to the roadies, for aaaall the trucks loading and unloading  because this is a HUGE.  ;D ;D

Acoustix,

Yes i have a great assistant with me all during the tour. But i've been present everyday during the unload of the truck to the end of the show, and i have help him to setup the equipment. The other thing is that we had no P.A. with us, we have used the local P.A. of each venue... So it was more easy.

igrecji said:

Acoustix,

Yes i have a great assistant with me all during the tour. But i've been present everyday during the unload of the truck to the end of the show, and i have help him to setup the equipment. The other thing is that we had no P.A. with us, we have used the local P.A. of each venue... So it was more easy.

Its was not said badly, it was ironic.  ;)

And with the price of all your gear, you're right to load/unload your trucks  ::)

igrecji said:
Hello dear friends,

Here is a small demo of one title directly recorded through the FOH desk. This is not a huge demo, i will put some separate tracks later for most details on the sound through the pre/eq/comp...

http://www.yvesjaget.com/modules/mod_jlplayer2/standalone.php?mid=144

Please stay indulgent on the result of the mix, it's a F.O.H. mix, and it's strictly depending of the live situation!!! (monitor sound, musician level on stage, venue ,  beer and other etc etc ....)

It's will be fun

For the 1176/500:
I got two different model: 6 of them are the full IGOR design (Albatros output circuit), four of them are with Ed Anderson input trafo.
I've to say that my favorite is the Albatros one, because of his great headroom/slew rate. And for the rest, this compressor is absolutly fabulous, and i'm a power user of the SLAM mode, specially on vocal track!!! I like a lot the grayhill on all and i regret to haven't it on the input/output section, i've to ask Igor to design a special model!!! The benefit to cross this piece is unbelievable and for everything. The sound at 12:1 for Acoustic guit is fab, i use it on toms too and the same, you always find the right way to make it sound rich and gorgeous!!
The slam mode is amazing on a SM58, and it maintain the right level where you decide to.
Even if it's not exactly the same result than with a REV D 1176, this machine got a real signature and sounded like the Big Name in the audio world.

Hi Yves, thank you for feedback! I am very happy with this: the thing worked out!!!!

"Originality" - wise: to be 99.8% close to "originaL", it is possible to use Rev F amps set supplied with pcb's,
but this is exactly the thing I liked to avoid, sound - wise ;)

Grayhill switches for i/o controls: yes, possible, with 3 db steps for input and 2 db steps for output, can have good range and recall-ability.
There is enough space after front panel to put them with dedicated pcb and resistors.

P.s.: I wish all concerts have sound as this:
http://www.yvesjaget.com/modules/mod_jlplayer2/standalone.php?mid=144

And all thumbs up to Don and Peter!

Yes, veeery nice sound!!!
Of course drums are up front, but like you said, it's a FOH mix.
Your PA had to be very well tuned cause your mix is very well balanced. But from a guy like you I'm not expecting less than a great great mix. Congrats!!!

yep very nice mix Yves ;-)
hope to see you again in Angers !
amazing work to build these NV73 and LAZ1084
and Igor, nice job on those 1176-500 "zazie edition" ;-)
congrats guys ,
DIY forces on tour !!!!

francois.

Hello Guys,

I've specially design a PHP page on my site where i've some pictures of the Zazie tour, with nice pict of DIY....

ZAZIE TOUR PHOTOS

Thank'x for your comments les amis....

igrecji said:

Thank goodness you see how beer affects your FOH mix. I thought maybe I was the only one!

And thank you for the songs. It is very cool to hear how all this stuff really sounds in a live situation.

Back